NEW!

Inov-8 Race Elite 260 Thermoshell

Weight 9.2 oz / 260 g

The Inov-8 Race Elite Thermoshell is a lightly insulated…

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample provided by inov8 for testing and review)

Summary

The Inov-8 Race Elite Thermoshell is a lightly insulated (Primaloft Sport), reversible jacket with an emphasis on trail running features. With 40 g/m2 on the chest and body and 25 g/m2 on the arms and collar you get just the right amount of insulation, where you need it, in cool to cold weather running.

Pros

• Fit
  • Weather resistance
  • Synthetic insulation
  • Versatility

Cons

• Thumb loops too small
  • Elastic hem too tight/ My waist too big?

1376574139-32867700.jpg

Retail Price: $200

Weight: 9.9 oz (including stuff sack)

Packed size: Roughly a Nalgene bottle

fgb.jpg

*Warning: this review is filled with far too many selfies, if you are squeamish, look away now. Also fun side game: track the testing time through the facial hair, and in my defense, it was Movember, not a sign of a Hipster takeover.*

20131229_142026.jpg

Fit

In a word? Perfection. The cut sits slightly below my waist and has an elastic hem to keep it in place. I have found the elastic a little too tight, and if it rides up, say if you lift your arms above your head, it will get held in an awkward belly top kinda way! I'm hoping over time it will lose some of its elasticity.

PB300435---Copy.jpg

The fit is so good that it allows this jacket a lot more versatility. Its uses, in my opinion, compare favourably to how you would use a down sweater. The big advantage here is that the synthetic insulation handles any excess moisture far better.

The sleeves are, by design, long, with thumb loops to keep them in place while running. Having a layer of Primaloft covering your hands in frigid temps is akin to the comfort of snuggling a puppy Golden Retriever in front of a warm fire. Okay, maybe I got a little carried away there, but you will be thanking the heavens (or Inov-8) when you need to use them.

My only complaint is the opening on the thumb loops is a little tight, I'd like to see it a little bigger for a more relaxed fit.

PB300426.jpg

PB300427.jpg

20140111_135549.jpg

Weather Resistance

I found the Pertex Quantum fabric shell was able to fend off all but the strongest downpours, and the insulation is a welcomed feeling in a cold rain. My previous choice for winter running was either a light wind shell, or an unlined softshell, this will replace both.

20140111_141928.jpg

20140111_141850.jpg

20140111_135119.jpg

Having the zipper down it vents adequately well, but I wouldn't want to be running in this at much over 0 degrees Celsius (32°F). The warmest I have been able to test it in was 4 degrees Celsius and I had to roll up the sleeves. The coldest I'd be comfortable recommending this at is around -20°C, and I generally run hot (pun intended). Below that, anyone that's out running is more dedicated/ less lazy than this guy!

10% Warmer...?

"This unique reversible shell isn't just for show, the innovative design delivers 10% more warmth on the reverse, giving genuine resting and starting options in the mountains."

This is Inov-8's claim. While the science behind it makes sense—having the insulation exposed as opposed to behind a windproof layer, 10% is such a small amount to be able to perceive. I'd like to think I felt warmer with the Pertex (orange) side out, but I also know I'm a sucker for marketing...probably why I have so many snuggies sitting around (j/k....kinda...lol...awkward silence).

PB300425---Copy.jpg
Cold...?

20140111_135600.jpg
Warm...?

Extras

Packability: Packs down real small, roughly a Nalgene, although you can wrestle it slightly smaller.

photo.jpg

Reflective Details: Nice touch for night running, although there are more on the black side. Seemed a little backwards to me. I like to run at night with the FAR more visible orange side out. Maybe they are just trying to aide visibility on the black side?

dse.jpg

Included Stuff Sack: Nice touch but I wish the jacket stuffed into its own pocket. I'm the type that if it's not attached then I run the risk of losing it.

PB300432.jpg

Chest Pocket: Fits the essentials...keys, ID, music. It also has a smaller pocket within it. I've used it to store my iPod or the stuff sack on separate occasions.

PB300430.jpg

PB300431---Copy.jpg

About me: I am six foot, 165 lbs and ordered the size large.

I'd like to thank Trailspace and Inov-8 for the opportunity to test this jacket. If you have any questions about this product I'd be happy to help in any way that i can.

Love the phases of facial hair! Nice review.

Thanks for testing and sharing this, Jake. As I get older and colder, I'm thinking more about running insulation for winter. A few questions for you: What did you usually wear under the shell for a baselayer? What do you think the best temp range is for this jacket (-10-20s°F)? Also, think it would make a good cross-country skiing shell? Maybe an extra three-season layer for hiking/fast packing? FYI for the ladies, the women's version is the Race Elite 220 Thermoshell.

Joseph Renow

Nice review Jake...I wonder why they chose Primaloft Sport over lighter and more compressible Primaloft products?...and what are your thoughts about retreating the DWR on the Pertex...as they tend to wear away fairly quickly?

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Nice job, Jake!

This unique reversible shell isn't just for show, the innovative design delivers 10 percent more warmth on the reverse, giving genuine resting and starting options in the mountains. Our warmest insulated and reversible shell. Run long, stay warm. Athletic fit.

Features:

• Air-flow fabric to outside
  • Zoned Primaloft Sport 40g/m2 body, 25g/m2 arms and collar
  • Pertex Quantum ultralight fabric for high levels of windproofness and breathability
  • When worn with Pertex® Quantum to the outside it's 10% warmer
  • Athletic fit • Body mapped stitch-through construction to create cool zones
  • Deep centre front zip / vent with top reversible zip head
  • Chest pocket to outside and multi-angle reflective detailing
  • Lycra bound cuffs with thumb loop and lycra bound hem
  • Includes stuffsac

Visit Inov-8's Race Elite 260 Thermoshell page.

Inov-8 Race Elite 260 Thermoshell

The Race Elite 260 Thermoshell is expected in stores as part of Inov-8's 2014 product line.