Inov-8 Roclite 286 GTX

Weight 286 g / 10.2 oz
Upper Synthetic, TPU
Lining Gore-tex

A light, grippy, load bearing, excellent hiking boot.

Summary

A light, grippy, load bearing, excellent hiking boot. I can't imagine going back to heavy hot leather over engineered boots.

Pros

• Ultra light
  • Excellent traction
  • Waterproof and breathable
  • Stable

Cons

• Cut a bit low around the ankle — easier for water to seep over
  • Not very gaiter friendly

Fit was perfect out of the box. Didn't bother breaking them in. I took them on a weekend tramp to the Chatham Islands to walk the backcountry. No tracks and lots of native bush and wetlands and peatlands. Walked around 40km in one day in them. I suppose I walked about 70km in total.

The days were around 26 degrees Celsius or 78.8 Fahrenheit for those who don't like logical measuring systems. I weigh 110kg or 242lbs and was carrying 17kg or 37lb on my back.

These boots held up brilliantly. They were extremely comfortable and held the ground like glue. Lots of scrambling up steep gullys on rocks and the like across 200m drop cliffs. They were completely waterproof and more importantly my feet never got overheated. The Goretex membrane did its job. My old leather boots would feel like there was fire in them from hour 2 onwards.

In terms of load bearing they were spot on. It's simply not true you need hard soled boots for heavy loads. These boots were far more surefooted with both my load and weight. My poor new boots were carrying 280lbs all up.

The fact the boots are so light is a major plus. I walk long and hard. These boots are like running shoes to wear and I was able to cover far more distance than with my more conventional harder soled leather boots.

A small gripe is the boot was cut slightly low. Across the peatlands I used gaiters and they tended to ride up over the top of the boot. I got a very mild case of water leaking in over the top which doesn't happen with my more traditional leather walking boots. Again though they dried within the hour so the goretex did its job.

Another small gripe is the lacing sitting too high on the foot.  Limits the type of gaiters you can use with them.  Have to say though, both gripes are very minor.

Can't recommend them enough. A real pleasure to tramp in.

Welcome to Trailspace and thanks for sharing your reviews, Ward. I'd love to see some pictures (especially from New Zealand) of your gear. p.s. I laughed at your comment, " for those who don't like logical measuring systems."

Inov-8 Roclite 286 GTX

The Inov-8 Roclite 286 GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 27, 2015 at CampSaver.com.