Inov-8 Roclite 288 GTX

men's half sizes
Materials Synthetic mesh, Gore-Tex
Sizes Men's 5-13, 14 Women's 6.5-11
Weight 10.1 ounces per boot (Men's size 9).

Two years after getting these I'm still not sure.

Summary

Two years after getting these I'm still not sure.

Pros

• comfortable
  • light
  • great traction
  • waterproof

Cons

• no foot support
  • little ankle support

This is basically a sticky, minimalist, high top trail running shoe. I've been using the Inov-8 MudRoc and RocLite line of trail running shoes for about 6 years and decided to try the hiking boots.

Like their lightweight trail running shoes this boot has very little structure in the sole which lets the foot deform and bend with the terrain. In trail running this is good because the foot forms to rocks and roots instead of sliding off. This is bad because it can put stress on the connective tissue around the tarsals and meta-tarsals. With training you can toughen your feet which is fine for trail running but I'm not sure it is good for backpacking.

The collar that comes up around the ankles seem a bit large so even with thick socks in never feels snug and I don't feel like there is much support. Otherwise these are the most comfortable shoes I own. My feet are always hot so I only wear shoes when socially required. These shoes are light which keeps them cool and the Gore-tex membrane keeps them dry. When stepping in cool water you can feel the cold like dipping in a bare foot but your feet are completely dry.

I love how these shoe feel and work, but I'm just worried that they don't have enough support or padding and that I'm opening myself to injury.

Purchased this boot and fine for 75-100 miles Canicross…

Price Paid: £55 (half price offer)

Purchased this boot and fine for 75-100 miles Canicross running in all weathers. Good grip from sole and waterproof. Then, they started leaking.

Sent back to Inov8 via retail store and they agreed it was letting in too much water. Offered us refund or Roclite 390 GTX. The Roclite 390 GTX is cheaper than the 288 and reviews say it is even worse than the 288 for waterproofness so will go for refund. Shame as when new, the Roclite 288 was excellent but no durability. My husband also purchased a pair but has done less mileage so by the time they fail they will be out of the 1 year warrantee.

So in summary if you are high mileage trail runner, maybe try these, keep the receipt, and send back if they leak. Otherwise avoid.

It should be noted that Inov8 did not offer us another replacement pair of 288's so they obviously do not have much confidence in the durability of this boot.

Inov-8 Roclite 288 GTX

The Roclite 288 GTX has been discontinued.

$130.00 (men's)

The Inov-8 Roclite 288 GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 7, 2012 at Mountains Plus.