Inov-8 Roclite 288 GTX

half sizes
Materials Synthetic mesh, Gore-Tex
Sizes Men's 5-13, 14 Women's 6.5-11
Weight 10.1 ounces per boot (Men's size 9).

Two years after getting these I'm still not sure.

Summary

Two years after getting these I'm still not sure.

Pros

• comfortable
  • light
  • great traction
  • waterproof

Cons

• no foot support
  • little ankle support

This is basically a sticky, minimalist, high top trail running shoe. I've been using the Inov-8 MudRoc and RocLite line of trail running shoes for about 6 years and decided to try the hiking boots.

Like their lightweight trail running shoes this boot has very little structure in the sole which lets the foot deform and bend with the terrain. In trail running this is good because the foot forms to rocks and roots instead of sliding off. This is bad because it can put stress on the connective tissue around the tarsals and meta-tarsals. With training you can toughen your feet which is fine for trail running but I'm not sure it is good for backpacking.

The collar that comes up around the ankles seem a bit large so even with thick socks in never feels snug and I don't feel like there is much support. Otherwise these are the most comfortable shoes I own. My feet are always hot so I only wear shoes when socially required. These shoes are light which keeps them cool and the Gore-tex membrane keeps them dry. When stepping in cool water you can feel the cold like dipping in a bare foot but your feet are completely dry.

I love how these shoe feel and work, but I'm just worried that they don't have enough support or padding and that I'm opening myself to injury.

rated 3.00 of 5 stars All Roclite 288 GTX versions

In addition to the 1 men's review above, there is 1 review for another version of the Roclite 288 GTX. Read all reviews »

Inov-8 Men's Roclite 288 GTX

The Men's Roclite 288 GTX has been discontinued.

The Inov-8 Men's Roclite 288 GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 7, 2012 at Mountains Plus.