Highly Satisfied. I wear the shoes any time I have…

Summary

Highly Satisfied. I wear the shoes any time I have to be on my feet for extended periods of time. They are not at all fashionable, but they are the most comfortable walking shoes I have ever owned.

Pros

• Built to last and made to your measurements.

Cons

• Have to wait over a year to get them.

I have sold mountaineering footwear. I have owned excellent hiking and mountaineering boots, including Pivetta, Raichle, and Lowa. John's boots fit and feel better than any boots I have ever worn.

I ordered a pair of mountain shoes from John Calden…

Summary

I ordered a pair of mountain shoes from John Calden and visited his shop so he could measure my feet. The shoes were more than a size too long. The shoes did not fit.

Pros

• Leather materials and craftsmanship seem good

Cons

• The shoes were not made to fit my feet.

The shoes were about one-half inch too long and John Calden was not interested in actually seeing how the shoes fit on my feet. His only concern was how the shoes fit his last.

I took him to small claims court and won (see case number 2013 S 000242, Larimer County Court).

Despite all the rhetoric on the website regarding superior fit, he takes not responsibility for it. This is what he wrote me about how my feet, not the last, fit in the shoes he made, "I have no control over what a customer's feet do in them."

For the price I expected an excellent fit.

John Calden BRAND REP

I made Nils Kauffman a pair of my mtn. shoes to his exact measurements and outlines. After using them for 18 months he decided that they were too long. I offered to re-last them to whatever length he wanted. He took me to small claims court instead. The Judge couldn't really decide what to do , so he split the decision. Nils ended up getting his mtn. shoes for half price.