Julbo Tensing

Nice and dark, but the arms are rather flimsy. After…

Summary

Nice and dark, but the arms are rather flimsy.

Pros

• Very dark
  • Fog-resistant
  • Save me from headaches

Cons

• The arms are flimsy
  • They like to fall off my face
  • Mirror finish

After over a year (two I think) of wearing these glasses I am torn; they are decent enough to keep, but not decent enough to love... just okay enough to keep.

Tint: I love the darkness. They are too dark to wear during normal activities, but perfect on the glacier.

Coverage: The coverage is great, never a sunburn under my eyes. They also manage to keep from fogging up, a nice feature.

UGH! Every time I wear them the arms make the tops of my ears sore where they rest. I have tried to smooth them with a file but it never seems to work right, then I get bored and quit since it is not too big of a deal.

Also, they have these thin, skeleton-ized arms that prevent sun glass tan lines but aren't strong enough to keep them from sliding off my face sometimes.

Then the ends of the arms are fat and I have to tuck them in under my cap, which, though also not a big deal, is annoying.

I like them and if they would just grip a little tighter I'd love them. Maybe my face is too narrow.

Durability: The arms pop off and back on again pretty easily and perhaps their durability and simplicity of construction are the reason they are still around.

Style: My kids haven't stolen them (yet), so perhaps that speaks to their style, or lack of, I don't know.

Rainier, three times. Can you guess which one of us had a headache later that day? Not me!

Mt. Hood, twice

Rainier

bIMG_20160426_092915674.jpg
Mt. Hood again. I like seeing the reflection in the glasses in pictures.

bIMG_0043.jpg
Mt. Baker

FB_IMG_1437081076419.jpg
Really, I wear these everywhere (Rainier).

IMG_20150705_052341557.jpg
Rainier
IMG_20150222_093437659.jpg
Snow Creek Wall

Conclusion: So, until they break or get lost I guess I'll keep them. Not the most glowing endorsement but probably worth what I paid for them, no more.

Nice review, Jeff! I love your assessment: "they are decent enough to keep but not decent enough to love... just okay enough to keep."

These are a very good pair of sunglasses for everyday…

Price Paid: $50 (I believe)

Summary

These are a very good pair of sunglasses for everyday use, but they really excel in the bright sunshine and high glare conditions of snow and ice covered terrain. I use them scrambling, hiking, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing.

Pros

• Well-ventilated
  • Reasonably priced

Cons

• Lenses can still fog

The Julbo Tensing Sunglasses are the ones I use most days. They are comfortable, lightweight, well-vented (although from time to time they have fogged up), and though they seem flimsy, these glasses have been through some rough treatment without any problems.

They are great for anyone spending time in the snow and ice looking for  reliable eye protection. Another plus: at $50 MSRP, they are relatively inexpensive.