KA-BAR Large Heavy Bowie Knife

A very tough, capable knife. It makes short work of…

A very tough, capable knife. It makes short work of firewood, even after accidentally getting whacked on a rock by an idiot (me) who should have known better. It kept its edge well, in spite of getting a couple of nicks in the blade.

After sharpening, it's back to good-as-new condition, and ready to go once again. It's easy to sharpen, and makes a valuable camping tool.

At half the price of a Cold Steel Trailmaster, and a third the price of Fallkniven A2, it's unbeatable for its combination of price/weight/performance.

I love backpacking and take great pride in all of…

I love backpacking and take great pride in all of my gear. I bought this knife to for two purposes, 1) Processing Firewood and 2) Bushwhacking.

When I purchased the Ka-Bar Large Heavy Bowie survival knife a few months ago for $50 dollars I was expecting a mediocre knife that would disappoint me after a few cross country treks. In fact I was confident I would exploit its weaknesses within the first few times I used it.

I couldn't have picked a tougher knife to test. The Ka-Bar Large Heavy Bowie Knife has been abused to the point where I have finally given up trying to test its limits. It cuts wood like a chain saw, the forest trembles in fear when I unsheathe the massive blade, and thick brush gets trimmed when I come through, all thanks to this knife.

It is awful to say it but I have put it through brutal tests, at points purposely TRYING to break this knife; it has stood up to all conditions from chopping wood in 10 degree weather to splitting fine kinling. And after a 5-day backpacking trip and making fires every night it holds its edge well enough.

The only drawback is the weight of the knife is on the heavier side. I give it 4 stars for overall use, I LOVE this blade. And 5 stars for firepower, if you're willing to take the extra 6 ounces over your regular survival blade your more expensive survival blades will thank you. It is worth a shot at only $50 dollars.

KA-BAR Large Heavy Bowie Knife

The KA-BAR Large Heavy Bowie Knife is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new fixed-blade knife, check out the best reviewed current models.

Gregory Citro 25 Review