Kayland Hyper Traction

This is one really awesome boot! I bought Hypertraction…

Price Paid: ??

Summary

This is one really awesome boot!

Pros

• Warm, dry & lightweight

Cons

• Pricy

I bought Hypertraction for winter mountaineering & ice climbing. For these pursuits correct fit is essential as cold feet is the result otherwise. I have a slightly wide foot and my left foot is slightly bigger than my right. When it comes to American shoes, the difference is not noticeable and no additional consideration for fit is necessary. But when it comes to mountaineering boots many Italian welts do not accommodate my width without creating detrimental length. I tried on many boots to find the correct fit and found 2 that suited my purpose and comfortably accommodated my feet. The Kayland Hypertraction and the La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX are both really excellent boots. Even within the same manufacturer, like La Sportiva or Kayland, some boots fit my feet and others do not. For instance I can wear the La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX but the La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX is too narrow. I can wear the Kayland Hypertraction but the Kayland M-11+ is too narrow.

The Hypertraction is pricy but Kayland has spared no expense when it comes to the material used. Dryver®, eVent®, Primaloft®, Schoeller®, Vibram®, this boot has all of the best materials. The water-tight RIRI Aquazip fastening and Velcro top side seal off the boot interior and make a more comfortable fit at the ankles than any boot I have worn. The E.C.T. Traction multi-layered composite insole makes a great crampon shelf for front pointing.

I have used the Kayland Hypertraction for 3 winters on Colorado 14er’s and ice climbing in Ouray and never had cold feet. I wear a size 9D street shoe and fit comfortably into size 10 Hypertraction, accommodating a thicker mountaineering sock.

Kayland Hyper Traction

The Hyper Traction has been discontinued.

The Kayland Hyper Traction is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 6, 2015 at Bentgate.com.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.