Kayland Hyper Traction

This is one really awesome boot! I bought Hyper Traction…

Price Paid: ??

This is one really awesome boot!

• Warm
  • Dry

• Pricy

I bought Hyper Traction for winter mountaineering and ice climbing. For these pursuits correct fit is essential as cold feet is the result otherwise. I have a slightly wide foot and my left foot is slightly bigger than my right. When it comes to American shoes, the difference is not noticeable and no additional consideration for fit is necessary. But when it comes to mountaineering boots many Italian welts do not accommodate my width without creating detrimental length.

I tried on many boots to find the correct fit and found two that suited my purpose and comfortably accommodated my feet. The Kayland Hyper Traction and the La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX are both really excellent boots.

Even within the same manufacturer, like La Sportiva or Kayland, some boots fit my feet and others do not. For instance I can wear the La Sportiva Nepal EVO GTX but the La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX is too narrow. I can wear the Kayland Hyper Traction but the Kayland M-11+ is too narrow.

The Hyper Traction is pricy but Kayland has spared no expense when it comes to the material used. Dryver, eVent, Primaloft, Schoeller, Vibram, this boot has all of the best materials. The water-tight RIRI Aquazip fastening and Velcro top side seal off the boot interior and make a more comfortable fit at the ankles than any boot I have worn. The E.C.T. Traction multi-layered composite insole makes a great crampon shelf for front pointing.

I have used the Kayland Hypertraction for three winters on Colorado 14er’s and ice climbing in Ouray and never had cold feet. I wear a size 9D street shoe and fit comfortably into size 10 Hyper Traction, accommodating a thicker mountaineering sock.

Welcome to Trailspace, Richard. Thank you for the review on your boots.

Welcome to Trailspace, Richard! Thanks for sharing your Kayland boot review. Out of curiosity, what crampons do you use with your boots?

Kayland Hyper Traction

The Hyper Traction has been discontinued.

The Kayland Hyper Traction is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 6, 2015 at Bentgate.com.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.

Trew Women's NuYarn Wool Pocket T Review