Kayland Vertigo

Very tough, extremely well made boot! Grippy aggressive…

Summary

Very tough, extremely well made boot! Grippy aggressive tread, excellent ankle support. Warm enough for cold weather, will not overheat in summer!

Pros

• Excellent ankle support
  • Great traction wet/cold weather
  • Wrap around rand/crampon compatible

Cons

• Slightly narrow toe box

I found these boots heavily discounted after Kayland was bought out and began to pull out of North America. I purchased these boots because I've developed the need for increased ankle support. These boots are as close as you can get to having mountaineering style ankle support.

The insoles were replaced immediately, and the fit is great. I find them just a little snug, especially in the toe box, however I tend to crank down tightening boots. The heel puts it right at home. It took a VERY long time for these boots to break in, I didn't log hours.

My feet have stayed dry in the 6+ months I've owned them, wearing them for hundreds of miles. They're my daily go-to. I notice some sweat wearing them all day, but they tend to appropriately breathe, hot and cold. The Vibram tread is aggressive, yet open enough to allow dirt and mud to get out. They hold very true in water, snow, and ice. There is a very nice upward angled toe (again like mountaineering boots) which is VERY nice. The wrap-around rand is nice and high, and the adhesive has not budged. Crampon compatibility is another plus.

Manufacturing is very high quality, some of my favorite boots for hiking over 30 years. Looks like I'll be looking for another pair on my next trip to Europe!

If you've owned or used a Kayland Vertigo, please share your experience.

Kayland Vertigo

The Kayland Vertigo is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 12, 2012 at Sierra Trading Post.