Keen Boulder

These multi-purpose water shoes/light trail hikers…

Materials: polyester, nylon, rubber
Use: day hikes, light hiking, water crossings, kayaking
Break-in Period: immediate
Weight: 1lb 7 oz

These multi-purpose water shoes/light trail hikers immediately felt great on my feet. No "hot spots" on my feet from any of the straps. The footbed was heaven. I have not tried them in the water yet, but I am sure, based on the their materials, they would dry quickly. There was no break in period. I wore them out of REI as soon as I decided to buy them.

Why did I decide to purchase these shoes? I was impressed by the toe caps which would provide more toe protection from rocks and trail debris compared to open toe sandals.

The only drawback I discovered with these, is they do not do well in sandy areas or areas that I live in which has decomposed granite (Lake Tahoe) all over the place. I find myself constantly dumping out the shoes of sand and debris. I have found that debris I pick up on the trail does not escape the shoe very well compared to open toe sandals that I can shake out while I am still wearing them. That is the only reason they received 4 stars from me instead of 5. This was my mistake. I just learned that open toe sandals or hiking boots would do better in this area with all the decomposed granite. Any other type of terrain or soil, especially water, I think they would perform beyond 5 stars.

Even though I have to dump out these shoes, I could not bring myself to return them. When I travel to other regions that I know will have a different soil, I will for sure be wearing my Boulders. I think Keen does a great job on their shoes.

If you play hard around water, but your feet don't have fun, check out the Keen Boulder . While it is nice to free the feet, sometimes you have to armor them. Keen Boulder features Originally $89.95 Discontinued model No leather, all synthetic for quick drying, long lasting performance Keen's toe guard protects your piggies while wading around basalt, granite, shale...the list goes on. Carbon rubber outsole grips well and is durable; the shallow lugs resist mud packing Removable metatomical footbed to enhance drying; can also be replaced with many corrective footbeds

- OMCgear

Free Shipping. Keen Men's Boulder Shoe (Spring 2007) The Keen Men's Boulder Shoe is built light on weight, not on features. With running shoe comfort and sandal breathability, it is at home in the water as well as on the trail. The minimalist upper is lined to prevent hotspots and the removable footbed is EVA and will not absorb any water when trail gives way to river. Features Removable metatomical footbed Dual density compression molded EVA midsole Patented toe protection 4mm multi-directional non-marking outsole lug pattern Washable synthetic upper Quick draw elastic cord lace system GIS Microbe Shield treated SBR lining

Anti-microbial woven synthetic lining absorbs moisture, dries fast and resists odor-causing bacteria. Dual-density molded EVA midsoles offer rich shock-absorption and padding while maintaining balanced support and toe off flexibility. Non-marking carbon rubber outsoles with deep lug pattern offers long-wearing durability and superb traction on loose dirt, scree or rock. One-pull elastic drawcord lacing secures uppers around instep; heel and tongue loops aid entry and exit. Patented rubber toe guards protect feet from scuffs, bumps and uneven terrain. Quick-drying polyester webbing and synthetic leather uppers completely surround feet for a secure fit and superb ventilation. Removable Metatomical EVA footbeds are custom shaped to provide ample cushioning and arch support--will accommodate orthotics. Taking on land and water with equal fervor, the Keen Boulder water shoes blur the lines even further between sandals and trail shoes.

Keen Men's Boulder

The Men's Boulder has been discontinued.

The Keen Men's Boulder is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 31, 2008 at OMCgear.

If you're looking for a new sport sandal, check out the best reviewed current models.