Keen Boulder

These multi-purpose water shoes/light trail hikers…

Materials: polyester, nylon, rubber
Use: day hikes, light hiking, water crossings, kayaking
Break-in Period: immediate
Weight: 1lb 7 oz

These multi-purpose water shoes/light trail hikers immediately felt great on my feet. No "hot spots" on my feet from any of the straps. The footbed was heaven. I have not tried them in the water yet, but I am sure, based on the their materials, they would dry quickly. There was no break in period. I wore them out of REI as soon as I decided to buy them.

Why did I decide to purchase these shoes? I was impressed by the toe caps which would provide more toe protection from rocks and trail debris compared to open toe sandals.

The only drawback I discovered with these, is they do not do well in sandy areas or areas that I live in which has decomposed granite (Lake Tahoe) all over the place. I find myself constantly dumping out the shoes of sand and debris. I have found that debris I pick up on the trail does not escape the shoe very well compared to open toe sandals that I can shake out while I am still wearing them. That is the only reason they received 4 stars from me instead of 5. This was my mistake. I just learned that open toe sandals or hiking boots would do better in this area with all the decomposed granite. Any other type of terrain or soil, especially water, I think they would perform beyond 5 stars.

Even though I have to dump out these shoes, I could not bring myself to return them. When I travel to other regions that I know will have a different soil, I will for sure be wearing my Boulders. I think Keen does a great job on their shoes.

Keen Men's Boulder

The Men's Boulder has been discontinued.

The Keen Men's Boulder is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 31, 2008 at OMCgear.

If you're looking for a new sport sandal, check out the best reviewed current models.