Keen Newport Canvas

This sandal is bombproof. I picked it up on a whim…

Materials: Canvas
Use: Water, Casual
Break-in Period: 2 weeks
Weight: 29 ounces

This sandal is bombproof. I picked it up on a whim from the recreational equipment co-op we all know because I was about to head out on a two week cross country National Parks tour. I would be able to put the sandal through its paces.

As a water shoe it was outstanding. We floated down the Little River near Cades Cove in the Great Smokies. The shoe protected the toes from toeing in on rocks and boulders. Did well on slippery rocks. (as good as any non felt bottomed shoe), and dried out fairly quickly.

The true testament to this shoe comes from a bit of a goof up on my part. I was heading out with the wife for a 10 mile hike in the Shenandoah's along the Rocky Top Trail. I set my boots out but ended up realizing an hour into the drive they they were still were I left them... sitting inside my front door. I motored on knowing I had worn these shoes for a good 200 hours and never had a hot spot.

Hiking a mountain with a 35 lb. pack was a bit of a stretch but I had no choice. I am happy to say these sandals were rock solid. Rocky Top has a number of rocky talus slopes you have to cross and the enclosed toe and canvas fabric protected the feet. I was careful to make sure I had good placement since I had no ankle support. During ascent and decent there was no slippage inside the shoe thanks to the bungee cord tightening system.

The final result of my 10 miler, which under no circumstances do I recommend anyone try in sandals, was happy feet, no blisters, no aching arches and a sandal that held up like a champ.

Add another pair of Keen's Newport shoes to your daily summer footwear, this time with natural canvas uppers. Everything you expect and then some, your feet are protected by the high toe rand and a beefy rubber outsole that provides plenty of traction with multi-directional lugs while an interior, moisture-wicking liner with an AEGIS anti-microbial treatment ensures that your feet stay dry and odor-free.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

CLOSEOUTS . Trail to creek and home, Keen’s Newport canvas sport sandals perform on all your warm-weather escapades. Canvas upper with elastic speed-lacing system Hydrophobic mesh lining AEGIS Microbe Shield(R) prevents odor-causing bacteria Metatomical footbed Compression-molded EVA midsole Signature Keen toe bumper Non-marking rubber outsole Medium width CLOSEOUTS . China. Runs small, order 1_2 size larger. Visit our Shoe Sizing Guide

- Sierra Trading Post refers to the men's version

Designed with the same comfort, support and toe protection as the best-selling Newport Sandal, the Keen Newport Canvas Sandal for Men is a revised version of an old favorite. Built with a sustainable, shock absorbing, KEEN.CORK footbed and a washable canvas upper, not only is the Newport Canvas perfect for just about any summer activity, it is a Vegan alternative to so many other water-bound footwear options.

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the men's version

Like your favorite canvas shoes of yore, the Keen Newport Canvas sandals wrap your feet in casual comfort and style. Cotton canvas uppers are lined with nylon mesh for comfort and fit; uppers are laced with elastic cord and secure with Quicklocks for a personalized fit. Pull loops facilitate easy on and off. Patented rubber Toe Guards protect feet from scuffs, bumps and uneven terrain. EVA midsoles provide cushioning; linings are treated with AEGIS Microbe Shield™ for resistance to odors created by bacterial growth. Carbon rubber outsoles offer long-lasting wear; knife-cut siping delivers reliable traction on wet surfaces.

- REI refers to the men's version

Keen Newport Canvas

The Newport Canvas has been discontinued.

The Keen Newport Canvas is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 21, 2013 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new sport sandal, check out the best reviewed current models.