Keen Newport Canvas

This sandal is bombproof. I picked it up on a whim…

Materials: Canvas
Use: Water, Casual
Break-in Period: 2 weeks
Weight: 29 ounces

This sandal is bombproof. I picked it up on a whim from the recreational equipment co-op we all know because I was about to head out on a two week cross country National Parks tour. I would be able to put the sandal through its paces.

As a water shoe it was outstanding. We floated down the Little River near Cades Cove in the Great Smokies. The shoe protected the toes from toeing in on rocks and boulders. Did well on slippery rocks. (as good as any non felt bottomed shoe), and dried out fairly quickly.

The true testament to this shoe comes from a bit of a goof up on my part. I was heading out with the wife for a 10 mile hike in the Shenandoah's along the Rocky Top Trail. I set my boots out but ended up realizing an hour into the drive they they were still were I left them... sitting inside my front door. I motored on knowing I had worn these shoes for a good 200 hours and never had a hot spot.

Hiking a mountain with a 35 lb. pack was a bit of a stretch but I had no choice. I am happy to say these sandals were rock solid. Rocky Top has a number of rocky talus slopes you have to cross and the enclosed toe and canvas fabric protected the feet. I was careful to make sure I had good placement since I had no ankle support. During ascent and decent there was no slippage inside the shoe thanks to the bungee cord tightening system.

The final result of my 10 miler, which under no circumstances do I recommend anyone try in sandals, was happy feet, no blisters, no aching arches and a sandal that held up like a champ.

If you've owned or used a Keen Newport Canvas, please share your experience.

Keen Newport Canvas

The Newport Canvas has been discontinued.

The Keen Newport Canvas is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 21, 2013 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new sport sandal, check out the best reviewed current models.