Interesting that the Keen Shellrock is categorized…

Materials: nylon uppers
Use: trails, short dayhikes, around town
Break-in Period: little to none

Interesting that the Keen Shellrock is categorized as a trail-running shoe instead of a trail shoe. I would say the opposite. I picked up a pair on sale recently and I love them as a general trail shoe for day hikes and for kicking around town. I would not use these for any kind of serious running though. They have almost no cushioning under foot.

They are super comfortable and super stable. Typical Keen fit: very wide toe box; average everywhere else. Very well made. Pretty good traction on a variety of surfaces. Mine are not the waterproof model - so I don't expect them to be waterproof - on the other hand, I do expect them to be breathable - and they are.

But, as I said above -- especially if you are a heel-striker -- forget about using these for any kind of sustained running. There's just no cushioning underneath at all. Get yourself something like a Salomon XA 3D instead.

Keen Men's Shellrock

The Men's Shellrock has been discontinued.

The Keen Men's Shellrock is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 8, 2010 at Sierra Trading Post.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review