Interesting that the Keen Shellrock is categorized…

Materials: nylon uppers
Use: trails, short dayhikes, around town
Break-in Period: little to none

Interesting that the Keen Shellrock is categorized as a trail-running shoe instead of a trail shoe. I would say the opposite. I picked up a pair on sale recently and I love them as a general trail shoe for day hikes and for kicking around town. I would not use these for any kind of serious running though. They have almost no cushioning under foot.

They are super comfortable and super stable. Typical Keen fit: very wide toe box; average everywhere else. Very well made. Pretty good traction on a variety of surfaces. Mine are not the waterproof model - so I don't expect them to be waterproof - on the other hand, I do expect them to be breathable - and they are.

But, as I said above -- especially if you are a heel-striker -- forget about using these for any kind of sustained running. There's just no cushioning underneath at all. Get yourself something like a Salomon XA 3D instead.