Keen Taos

Mom always said that the word "but" negates everything…

Mom always said that the word "but" negates everything you say afterwards. The Taos is a great shoe ... but.

I do everything in these shoes ... I hike, I run, I scamper, I work out, I sail, I urban explore ... everything. I am a big fellow - and the heel bed compressed down much quicker than I had hoped for - and the heel wore down quicker (6 months) on the outside corners quicker than I had hoped for. But I'm a big guy ... wear them all the time ... so maybe it should be expected.

So with that said I bought another pair. I like the shoe that much that I'm willing to buy a new pair every 6 months.

Sizing - order up a half size.
Width - true
Durability (other than the compression of the heel section) is great.

Stinkage factor - I don't wear socks .. so the factor is high ... however I throw them in the wash twice a week - or more often as necessary and that handles it nicely. I dry them in the sun.

Break in - if you are blisterer ... then you might blister. If not, the break-in should be fairly rapid. I got some blisters - but as soon as they heeled over I was good to go.

I hiked 29 miles through Glacier Nat'l Park, over…

Materials: leather
Use: multi-day hikes, avoid steep descents
Break-in Period: none
Weight: under 2 lbs.

I hiked 29 miles through Glacier Nat'l Park, over a pass, wet and dry conditions, 20+ pound pack. Loved them, didn't break out my boots once. I wear them five days a week at work and around town.

The support and function of a technical trail shoe. The open breathability of a sandal. Plus Keen's patented toe protection. Yeah, that'll do.

- EMS refers to the men's version

DescriptionPatented toe guard protection. Built on Keen's Metatomical last. All waterproof leather uppers. Aggressive lug carbon rubber outsole. Removable Metatomical footbed. Weight: 11 oz.

- Massey's Outfitters refers to the men's version

The Keen Taos Hiking Shoe is the latest in the increasingly popular category of hybrid footwear. Not quite a sandal, but not quite a full shoe, the Taos is nonetheless extremely adept in or out of water. The Taos's uppers are a mixture of mesh, leather, and webbing that protects your upper foot but feels airy like a sandal. Keen's Lace Capture System pulls once and cinches down the entire forefoot to lock you in securely. A luggy dual-density trail sole wraps up in the front for Keen's signature toe protection, which is every bit as nice on trails as it is on a boat. The original Keens were designed as boat and water shoes, but their insane comfort brought them inland. The same anatomical footbed is still here in the Taos, and can be removed to accommodate orthotics if necessary.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

Blur your boundaries between sports sandal comfort and trail shoe functionality in the Keen Taos this season. It offers the best of both footwear genres with a rugged, low-profile sole and big breathable open ports along the upper. Unlike sport sandals with wrap straps that sometimes lose their grip over time, the Keen Taos shoe has an innovative Secure-fit lace capture system connected to a wraparound webbing for a fit that you can customize for hiking, walking and paddling. An Aegis Microbe Shield minimizes odor and bacterial buildup throughout the life of the shoe.

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the men's version

Elevate your idea of performance and comfort with the Keen Taos hybrid shoes that couple sandal breathability with trail-shoe support and protection. Waterproof leather and polyester mesh/webbing uppers synergize into a flexible, durable, quick-drying, protective and supportive shell for your feet. Patented rubber toe guards protect feet from scuffs, bumps and uneven terrain. One-pull elastic drawcord lacing secures uppers around instep; heel and tongue loops aid entry and exit. Traveling webbing heel cage draws heel counters in when lacing is tightened to minimize heel slippage. Woven nylon and neoprene lining enhances comfort and controls moisture. Removable Metatomicalâ„¢ EVA footbeds are custom shaped to provide ample cushioning and arch support; will accommodate orthotics. Dual-density molded EVA midsoles offer rich shock-absorption and padding while maintaining balanced support and toe-off flexibility. Non-marking carbon rubber outsoles with deep lug pattern offers long-wearing durability and superb traction on loose dirt, scree or rock.

- REI refers to the men's version

Keen Taos

The Taos has been discontinued.

The Keen Taos is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 31, 2014 at EMS.