Keen Targhee II

To sum it up they are waterproof. They are light on…

Price Paid: $80?

Summary

To sum it up they are waterproof. They are light on the feet. The heal is well cushioned and supportive. And most importantly they are comfortable.

• Light
  • Waterproof
  • Affordable

Cons

• Over time the first thing to go is the waterproofness

I have had my pair for 2.5 years now and they have held strong. When I buy shoes I assess how the heal is when I walk, for I walk sort of like a penguin, in that my feet are very angled when I walk. As a result the heals of some shoes feel awkward, so when trying these they passed the test.

I live in Southern California, in the mountains, so I use them in the mountains. I love backpacking, but I hate boots, so I will more than gladly pull the laces tight on my Keens and hit the trail. The heal is very well cushioned, and feel much better than any other shoe I have owned, so a 50-, 60-, 70-lb pack won't bother your heals (no guarantee on the back though). They are also extremely light, yet strong, and provide excellent traction. Though I must admit that after several years of abuse I have worn the traction down, but I haven't tossed them because they are still holding up (thus they are strong).

Since I do live in Southern California, the waterproofness hasn't been as big of an need as it would be in my native Washington, but I do live in the mountains, and so come winter they have been great, as they don't get soaked through while traipsing through the snow.

As for fit, they fit great. I am a size 9 and the 9 was perfect. The comfort has been great, with no need of breaking in. And I never get blisters (the other reason I prefer them while backpacking).

I will note that after several years of use and abuse the first thing to go was the water resistance. I would complain more, but I live in Southern Cal, and they are holding together. The traction, which is awesome, will decline with use. I feel the sole is of a softer rubber, which provides greater grip, but with two years of lots of use will show the wear, and currently I have little/no tread left. But because of the rubber, it does continue to provide decent traction on many surfaces. It is only over the last six months that the shoe has started to come apart at the seems, but it is only a little outer dehiscence (for you medical folk), and the inner lining has held strong, so I am still out there going strong.

For the price, which is really competitive, you get an awesome shoe.

I have been wearing the Targee II's for a number of…

I have been wearing the Targee II's for a number of years now. They are probably my all time favorite shoe. My first pair lasted a good awhile but eventually split a the toe seem.  I bought a new pair and with very little use other than an out to dinner, once in a while kind deal, the toe area split on the new pair.

I contacted Keen and let them know that I exected nothing on the first pair. I really didn't even expect much on the new pair other than maybe a little pro-rated help on a replacement third pair (sent detailed pictures also).

The second pair was worn so sparingly but was older than one year and the factory refused any help in any way. I have never had the problem with any other shoe or boot that I have ever worn of any type and you can see in both pair that the material overlap was extremely minimal to hold the joint together.

I like the shoe so much that I brought a third pair and only wear them at times where my dogs want to enjoy themselves and keep watch over the seam. I have seen a similar failure on a Targhee II in Vermont where I actually stopped the person and asked about them.

The Targhee II in my opinion is a great shoe but the customer service aspect of the manufacture was nonexistent in my case.

I wore the Targhee IIs in the winter as a street shoe…

I wore the Targhee IIs in the winter as a street shoe and as my hiking shoe in non-sandal weather when there wasn't snow on the ground.  I love the way they fit and the waterproofing is excellent.

The worst thing about shoes is the plastic both sides of sole at the midfoot. Step on a wet log on the midfoot (which is your natural balance point) and your foot shoots out from under you.  If you are not very coordinated or lucky, you will fall.

My Targhee II's split after about 5 years. I like the way the look and love the way they fit.

Due to the plastic on the soles, I will not be purchasing new ones. I am replacing them with Keen's Siskiyou WP shoes. They aren't leather so they don't lend themselves to casual dress like the Targhee II's, but they don't have plastic on the soles.

For what it's worth, I wrote Keen about the problem with plastic on the bottom of hiking shoes and they never responded.

First time fit is a bit snug, however my feet do run…

Materials: Keen Dry, Leather, Mesh
Use: hiking, walking in rain
Break-in Period: 10+ miles

First time fit is a bit snug, however my feet do run wide. But after you wear them for a bit you get them broken in and they are great. Dry Dry Dry Dry Dry, I've yet to have water get into these, although I haven't hiked on many trails with stream crossings in them, but in the rain they are leak proof. Grip is great, had no problem on some rock scrambles and even a little bouldering action.

Overall this has been a very comfortable shoe. I have…

Materials: leather
Use: short dayhikes, rought trail dayhikes with daypack, anything up to 8 miles.
Break-in Period: 2 weeks

Overall this has been a very comfortable shoe. I have used them on a variety of trails and terrain. From sand trails to rugged rock slides. They grip really well and once broken in are very comfortable.

The downside that I am most upset about this shoe is how long they are lasting. Either I am very tough on my shoes or the rubber soles on these things are cheap. I bought them last April 08 and they are almost completely wore out. And I am not hiking every day here. I have had other hiking shoes hold up longer.

The rest of the shoe is fine, but the rest of it is wearing out like someone doing burnouts with offroad tires if you know what I mean.

On second note, it's worth getting the Gore-tex model, I opted for cheap 20$ less for the non and every time I step in a puddle I regret it.

Overall, this Keen shoe is great. I use them for day…

Materials: leather / mesh / gore lining
Use: short day hikes
Break-in Period: 6-10 miles of use
Weight: ??
Price Paid: ~$95

Overall, this Keen shoe is great. I use them for day hikes and for general, casual use. I would not plan on using these shoes for backpacking due to the low ankle support.

Once broken in, they are a very comfortable shoe, with plenty of room for your toes and a tight fit around the ankle. My feet don't swim in the shoe either. I've done some intense circuits (up/down) and I did not have problems with my toes rubbing. Cushioning is very good, and the soles are moderately stiff (good for stepping on rocks.)

The shoes were tight during the break-in period (about 8 miles). After that, they are very comfortable.

Why 4 stars? I'm not married to the look of the shoe, but due to the comfort, I am getting over this minor issue.

I purchased the shoes for an off-road half marathon.

Price Paid: $NZ 269

Summary

I purchased the shoes for an off-road half marathon. They are definitely not suited to this kind of activity. The shoes are unyielding, and my feet were sore for more than a week after the event. Be prepared to wear thick socks with undersole cushioning.

Pros

• Good grip in mud and loose surfaces
  • Waterproof in shallow water

Cons

• Rigid and unyielding with very poor cushioning.
  • The tongue appears too narrow, causing ridges that dig into the top of the feet.

I was sold the Targhee II as a lightweight hiking shoe, suitable for off-road events.

The shoes are a good fit, which is important as I have a wide (4E) foot. As I have low ankle bones, I frequently have problems with shoes pressing on my ankles, but this was not an issue with the Targhee II. The lacing system is good, and the laces hold their grip well. The shoes are waterproof, and the soles provide good grip in mud, on slippery clay, and on wet leaves.

I feel that I made a mistake in choosing to wear the shoes new for an off-road half marathon event, however I have subsequently found them still uncomfortable to wear, even as a casual 'knock-around' shoe. There is minimal or no cushioning in the insole, and the shoes feel rigid to wear. More than a week after the event I tried the shoes on again, meaning to wear them as casual shoes, but my feet were still too sore to wear the Targhees due to their lack of cushioning.

I have since worn them, once, and continue to find them uncomfortable to wear. In addition to the discomfort caused by the lack of cushioning, the design of the tongue causes the webbing joining the tongue to the body of the upper to create ridges that dig into the top of my foot.

Great fit out of the box. Wide toe box. Good traction.

Price Paid: $95 on sale

Summary

Great fit out of the box. Wide toe box. Good traction. I use this shoe for hiking rough mountainous trails. I would recommend this hiking shoe for anyone and especially if you have a wide foot.

Pros

• Fit
  • Traction
  • Wears well

Cons

• Needs an insert for better heel fit.

I am on my fourth pair of this shoe. It always fits great right out of the box with no break-in needed. I get no chaffing at all. Inserts wear fast so I put a better insert in after about 50 miles. I get about 375 to 425 miles out of each pair. Support is good in the sole and arch. it is a low shoe so there is no ankle support.

It is waterproof and does well crossing streams. I use an old pair for fishing shoes.

I trust the traction both uphill and down hill. They grip rocks great.

Shoe laces work good for adjustments needed. Outside tread came loose on one of my pairs and had to glue it back on.

I hike 80 to 110 miles per month in rugged desert mountains. I will use this shoe as long as they keep making them. I have been extremely satisfied with them. I highly recommend this shoe.

Poor fit, disappointing quality from Keen. Great customer…

Summary

Poor fit, disappointing quality from Keen. Great customer service, though.

Pros

• Style
  • Waterproof
  • Keen customer service

Cons

• Poor fit

I bought a pair of theses at my local outfitter and in the store they seemed to fit pretty good. I am a big Keen fan and have looked at these for some time before finally deciding to pull the trigger right after Thanksgiving 2012.

Once I got them home and started wearing them I realized there was a problem getting them to fit properly. The tongue would bunch up under the laces and would not allow me to tighten properly. If I tried to make the tongue lay correctly it would create pressure points on top of my feet. They also had a very loose fit and did not feel very stable on the trail.

My local outfitter would not take them back because they had been worn but did offer to exchange for a different size. The problem was the 8 1/2 was too small (I bought a 9 which is my usual size). They suggested I contact Keen.

Keen's customer service is awesome! I emailed them and explained the problem and was directed to fill out an online warranty form (the shoes were only a month old). After a couple of weeks, I received an email from Keen with a credit for the full price ($120) of the Targhees to be used towards an online purchase. Fantastic! I was disappointed because I really liked the Targhees and wanted them to work, but I was also very pleased because what I really wanted was a new pair of Keens.

After a lot of research and reading online reviews, I chose a pair of Gypsum boots as the replacement. That turned out to be a great choice and I will submit a separate review for them. Bottom line, I just could not get the Targhees to fit me, they were unwearable. If they work for you, then I think they are a great shoe.

The Keen Targhee II is a low cut hiking shoe. It is…

Summary

The Keen Targhee II is a low cut hiking shoe. It is waterproof and breathable. I find it to be very sturdy and comfortable, both in the woods and in town. The lacing ends with the laces going through a strap that goes to the top of the heel on both sides. I assume the purpose of this is to lock the heel down and prevent it from moving side to side. The sole of the shoe is very sturdy and provides comfort on rocks, sticks and roots. The toe box is quite large and provides a very comfortable fit.

Pros

• I really like the fit. I find the shoe to be very comfortable and sturdy.
  • Very sturdy shank, enhancing the comfort.
  • The KeenDry waterproofing is great

Cons

• Traction is terrible.

I really like this shoe. I bought them when I was at my heaviest (250 lbs) and was having all kinds of lower leg and foot problems.

I have been very impressed with the waterproofing on this shoe. I have yet to have any kind of water enter the shoe through the membrane. I also find the breathability to be second to none. This is one of the shoe's best features — you can wear them day after day and they don't get funky.

Breaking them in required daily use for me and I did feel some discomfort in the sides of the heel where the straps between the heel and the lacing passes through the stitching. This mechanism produced a bump inside the heel area on both sides that irritated my foot.

I bought Superfeet when I bought these shoes, but found that the arch support and insole in the shoe itself was more than adequate. These shoes, in fact, became the only shoe I wore as my feet and ankles rehabilitated themselves as I dropped from 250 down to 225.

The only issue I have with the show is the traction. Wearing them at work, I have to be extremely careful walking across a newly mopped floor or wet concrete. And though I wear them all time on walks through the woods, I am very uncomfortable climbing mountains with them.

In fact, the first time I wore them hiking, I climbed Streaked Mountain in Buckfield, Maine, at the tail end of a rain shower. Streaked is sheet rock from about half way. Though I got to the top okay, as I was shooting video with my phone at the summit, I slipped on the rock and smashed my phone on the ground. Coming down was extremely dicey, with my feet slipping out from under me a couple of times.

Conclusion

I really like these shoes, as I have said before. However, in terms of using them for what I bought them for, mountain climbing, they are unusable. The lack of confidence they inspire prevent me from wearing them in the mountains. This is disappointing at the price point of $120.

If you are looking for around town shoes and money isn't the issue it is to me, these are great shoes. Personally, I am going back to my worn out L.L. Bean $59 hikers.

I found the shoe took a long time to "break in" despite…

I found the shoe took a long time to "break in" despite the manufacturer comments that it does not require breaking in. The shoe is very waterproof, I have stood with the shoes submerged over the laces and no water penetrated the membrane at all,

I have an issue with the seam on the heal between the fabric and the waterproof membrane. It is a cause of friction not due to poor fit and as a result blisters are a big problem on longer walks.

Despite many different methods of socks/liner socks, taping, lacing techniques and Superfeet Green inserts I haven't been able to overcome this issue. Part of this problem is due to my left foot being slightly smaller than my right, and as such these problems are greater on my left heel.

Overall, I find the Keen Targhee 2 shoes to be a very comfortable fit, but I recommend an intensive in-store evaluation before you commit to purchasing them. I would also strongly recommend the boot instead of the shoe for any hiking situation for better waterproofing and ankle support on uneven terrain.

This experience hasn't swayed me from keen, I've recently purchased some Newport H2 sandals and I love them.

I ended up returning these after about one month of…

Materials: leather & gore-tex
Use: short dayhikes and everyday use
Break-in Period: 1-month
Weight: 175

I ended up returning these after about one month of use. I purchased 1/2 size larger based on the recommendation of the EMS saleman. I guess Keens run small. The shoe was very tight and uncomfortable. The soles are stiff and never really broke in. I also didn't like arch support.

rated 3.50 of 5 stars All Targhee II versions

In addition to the 12 men's reviews above, there are 6 reviews for other versions of the Targhee II. Read all reviews »