Koflach Vario Soft

I have worn these boots for six years in various conditions…

Materials: plastic
Use: mountaineering
Break-in Period: immediate
Weight: ~5 lbs

I have worn these boots for six years in various conditions from full-on vertical ice climbing, backcountry (AT) skiing, multi-day mixed climbing on Rainier, etc., etc. The only hit I would give these boots is that the liners are just not as warm as others. Considering that you can get a custom, closed-cell foam liner for around $100-150 and this may just be the best two-piece plastic boot going.

These boots were pretty flexable for plastic boots…

Materials: plastic
Use: snow/ice
Break-in Period: doesn't break in
Weight: about 5+lbs

These boots were pretty flexable for plastic boots and they fit my foot (narrow heel, wide-ish toebox) pretty well. They have a Therminum insole, this is the second from the bottom of the line boot sold by Koflach. (The bottom (==least warm) is the Viva Soft.) Unfortunately, they aren't very warm. To keep them warm enough at -5 degrees, I had to add a pair of insulated supergaiters. This isn't really warm enough for the NH Whites in winter, so I had to bring them back.

I never got a chance to hike in them, but they were comfortable enough walking around my backyard in the snow.

Koflach Vario Soft

The Koflach Vario Soft is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016