Koflach Vario Soft

These boots were pretty flexable for plastic boots…

Materials: plastic
Use: snow/ice
Break-in Period: doesn't break in
Weight: about 5+lbs

These boots were pretty flexable for plastic boots and they fit my foot (narrow heel, wide-ish toebox) pretty well. They have a Therminum insole, this is the second from the bottom of the line boot sold by Koflach. (The bottom (==least warm) is the Viva Soft.) Unfortunately, they aren't very warm. To keep them warm enough at -5 degrees, I had to add a pair of insulated supergaiters. This isn't really warm enough for the NH Whites in winter, so I had to bring them back.

I never got a chance to hike in them, but they were comfortable enough walking around my backyard in the snow.

I have worn these boots for six years in various conditions…

Materials: plastic
Use: mountaineering
Break-in Period: immediate
Weight: ~5 lbs

I have worn these boots for six years in various conditions from full-on vertical ice climbing, backcountry (AT) skiing, multi-day mixed climbing on Rainier, etc., etc. The only hit I would give these boots is that the liners are just not as warm as others. Considering that you can get a custom, closed-cell foam liner for around $100-150 and this may just be the best two-piece plastic boot going.

If you've owned or used a Koflach Vario Soft, please share your experience.

Koflach Vario Soft

The Koflach Vario Soft is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.