L.L.Bean Coolweave Technical Fishing Shirt, Short-Sleeve

I am not a fisherman, but this shirt has become my…

Summary

I am not a fisherman, but this shirt has become my "go-to" shirt for day hikes and canoeing. It is comfortable, cool, has UPF+50 sun protection, a zippered pocket, and other features I like. It is a bit pricier than my t-shirts, but I think I may be purchasing another in a different color.

Pros

• Pocket
  • Relaxed fit
  • UPF protection
  • Nice colors

Cons

• No tall sizes available
  • Not made in USA
  • Fabric can "catch", though I have no holes in it

fishing-shirt.jpg

I have the short sleeve version of the shirt—it does come in a long sleeve version, which I may consider in the future. The fit is relaxed, and the fabric does not cling, even while hiking in hot and muggy conditions.

I use the shirt for hiking, canoeing, and bicycling. The arms, designed to be roomy for casting, are very comfortable for paddling. It is 100% polyester, but is very soft, comfortable and cool, wicking even beneath a PFD. The zippered pocket is very handy for cell phone or glasses.

The nature of the fabric means it is not completely abrasion-proof; there are a few small snags from branches, but they do not seem to have affected the overall integrity of the garment. The UPF protection is a nice feature.

I do wish that the shirt was available in tall sizing; my husband requires tall sizes, so this shirt is not suitable for him. The lack of tall sizings restricts me from giving this a 5-star rating. There is a selection of four colors available. It is a bit more pricey than a t-shirt, or some other tech-shirts I have, but it seems to be a good investment.

L.L.Bean Coolweave Technical Fishing Shirt, Short-Sleeve

The L.L.Bean Coolweave Technical Fishing Shirt, Short-Sleeve is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 17, 2013 at L.L.Bean.

If you're looking for a new short sleeve performance top, check out the best reviewed current models.

DeLorme inReach SE Review