L.L.Bean Escape 20 Day Pack

Great pack for day hike, includes a hydration hole…

Summary

Great pack for day hike, includes a hydration hole to insert your own. Great fit on your back.

Pros

• Fit
  • Weight
  • Lots of pockets

Cons

• Front vertical zipper not too useful

I got this pack and have used it on several hikes. I like that the side pockets can hold a water bottle if you don't want to use a hydration system. It has some great pockets to separate gear. And useful outside straps to prevent bouncing if not too much in pack.

Nice durable contraction. I'm 6'2 and it fits on my back quite nice. Has a padded hip belt the breathes well to use on a trail run as well. A well designed pouch allows the hip belt to tuck into the pack when you want something a little less secure.

Capacity is nice for long day hikes. Shoulder straps are good as they are cured well. I give this pack a thumbs-up.

A good cheap pack, but what you save in money you…

Summary

A good cheap pack, but what you save in money you lose in space.

Pros

• Comfortable straps
  • Lots of pockets inside and out
  • Pole straps

Cons

• The amount you can put in the pack is limited.

This is a slightly updated pack from the one I have, but the dimensions are similar to my version of the pack.

I was very pleased with the shoulder straps, the back padding, the various pockets and loops for hiking poles. You get a lot of value for this pack that is reasonably priced compared say, to an Osprey.

However, you will find there is a limit to the amount of things you can put in your pack. For a day pack, sometimes I would want to put my fleece in, water, etc. coupled with first aid kit, etc. but there doesn't seem to be enough room for everything.

That said, if you are hiking light, you can't beat the value and the quality of this pack, it's really well constructed!

L.L.Bean Escape 20 Day Pack

The L.L.Bean Escape 20 Day Pack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 24, 2015 at L.L.Bean.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.