L.L.Bean Gore-Tex Cresta Hikers, Leather

Summary

Very rugged well made boot. It's heavy, but is a good value for its class.

Pros

• Rugged-long lasting
  • Good ankle support
  • Price
  • Full grain leather upper

Cons

• Heavy
  • Long break in time
  • Gore-Tex liner unnecessary

I bought mine in 2005. They were my first serious pair of hiking boots and I didn't know really what to expect. I felt like they were a poor fit for my foot at first because I hadn't allowed enough break-in time. Break-in time is extrememly long but I think that is true for any full grain leather heavy hiking boot.

They've held up well under some pretty gruelling conditions (lots of alpine hiking, off trail adventures, mad runs down steep scree slopes). As i'm think of getting new boots and pricing similar pairs I've come to the conclusion that the Cresta Hikers are one of the most affordable in their class.

The only reason i'm not giving five stars is the Gore Tex lining. Full-grain leather that is kept correctly is full water proof and breathable. Putting gore tex in this boot just makes it less breathable. Next time I might shell out the extra money for a US made boot  (Danner or Limmer). In conclusion, it's a good boot worth the price.

Have you owned or used a L.L.Bean Men's Gore-Tex Cresta Hikers, Leather? Share your experience »