L.L.Bean Gore-Tex Cresta Hikers, Leather

Materials: All leather
Use: suburbs- so far
Break-in Period: one hour at most
Weight: 3 pounds something

After reading reviews for L.L. Bean’s Cresta leather hikers for several months, I finally ordered a pair last week. I must say everything I have read is more than true. These are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. They are more comfortable than my daily wear Nikes.

Excellent support, thick substantial leather. The tongue and ankle material is made from a glove soft leather. I have never imagined a boot so supportive while remaining so soft-feeling on the foot. Having worn them every day now they seem to actually mould to the shape of my feet. The ankle and instep are non-slip snug while the toe box allows me to wiggle all my toes and with no bumping on downhill walks.

My foot is unusually wide yet I ordered the medium width. With normal sport socks or even light wool trail socks the fit is perfect. This is a very roomy boot. I would say anyone with a normal width foot will find the sizing very roomy and you’ll need thick socks or a half size smaller fit.

Craftsmanship is flawless. Perfect leather and stitching. The tag inside says “Made in Italy”. I believe it. When I was in Florence a few months ago I had the opportunity to try some very nice hand-made boots. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to afford any of them !

I am a 35 year old full-time student and experienced back packer. I regret I have not yet had the opportunity to use these on the trail, although I have put them through the paces on some fairly rough local terrain. If you are considering these boots, do yourself a favour and stop thinking,- go ahead and buy, you’ll be glad you did.

~Angus McTavish

Have you owned or used a L.L.Bean Men's Gore-Tex Cresta Hikers, Leather? Share your experience »