L.L.Bean Gore-Tex Mountain Treads, Mid-Cut

I love these boots and Gore-tex is definitely the…

Summary

I love these boots and Gore-tex is definitely the way to go.

Pros

• Waterproof Gore-tex
  • LL Bean satisfaction

Cons

• Slightly narrow
  • Original laces don't stay tied

They are sturdy and comfortable. The Gore-Tex is great, they stay dry even in the wettest trail conditions. I made a bad step into a bog and when I pulled my foot out the muck just rolled off them. Nearly instantly you couldn't even tell that it was just buried in mud.

The break-in time is relatively quick, just a few hikes should do it.

The tread is perfect, it grips the trail wonderfully even in near vertical descents. It's like glue on a rock face. I've experienced no slippage on wet surfaces except as expected on wet leaves.

They seem to keep my feet warm enough although I just bought them Labor Day weekend and it's only the end of October.

The only reason why I didn't give these boots a 5 star rating is because they seemed to me to be a little narrow. I would suggest that if your feet are on the wide side that you do go with the wide and/or a half size up. You also want to make sure, as with any hiking boot, that you have enough room for your heavier hiking socks and to prevent toe-jam on the downhills.

My husband had a pair and after listening to him rave about his for a while I got jealous and had to buy a pair for myself. I love them and won't go out on a trail in anything else now.

I have been trying to lighten load on the trail and…

Materials: leater, fabric, Gore-tex
Use: extended day hikes
Break-in Period: Not long, the leather seemed stiff initially
Weight: little over 2 lbs not completely sure
Price Paid: $90 (had coupons)

I have been trying to lighten load on the trail and I read a review in Backpacker about these boots. I was very skeptical, but I thought I would try since LL Bean has an amazing return policy. So far I have found these boots comfortable, supportive, and very light. I have hiked over varying elevations and terrain from ridge hikes to steep killer and from dry dirt trails to rocky ankler breakers. I carried my daughter in a kid carrier (about 32lbs) and they still felt good.

As for the Gore-tex, all waterproofing wears out after time regardless if it is a jacket, boots, or tent. But when mine go I am going to see about the return policy. So far I really like them.

A very comfortable and light hiking boot with the…

Materials: Leather/Cordura
Use: moderate trail with medium/light pack
Break-in Period: none
Weight: 2lbs. 8 oz.

A very comfortable and light hiking boot with the benefit of a Gore-Tex liner. Not the most rugged, and not intended for heavy backpacking, but sooooo comfortable right out of the box. So what if the tread wears more quickly than some; at this price toss em' after you start slipping and get a new pair.

Great out of the box fit and finish. Problem, which…

Materials: Gore-Tex Fabric/Leather
Use: Daily runs in the woods with dog
Break-in Period: Zero
Weight: 2.8 lbs

Great out of the box fit and finish. Problem, which I've had with every fabric/leather boot, is that the Gore-Tex lining stopped keeping my feet dry after six months. Third such boot I've owned to have this problem. Going back to full on leather boots.

If you've owned or used a L.L.Bean Gore-Tex Mountain Treads, Mid-Cut, please share your experience.