L.L.Bean Gore-Tex Mountain Treads, Mid-Cut

Summary

I love these boots and Gore-tex is definitely the way to go.

Pros

• Waterproof Gore-tex
  • LL Bean satisfaction

Cons

• Slightly narrow
  • Original laces don't stay tied

They are sturdy and comfortable. The Gore-Tex is great, they stay dry even in the wettest trail conditions. I made a bad step into a bog and when I pulled my foot out the muck just rolled off them. Nearly instantly you couldn't even tell that it was just buried in mud.

The break-in time is relatively quick, just a few hikes should do it.

The tread is perfect, it grips the trail wonderfully even in near vertical descents. It's like glue on a rock face. I've experienced no slippage on wet surfaces except as expected on wet leaves.

They seem to keep my feet warm enough although I just bought them Labor Day weekend and it's only the end of October.

The only reason why I didn't give these boots a 5 star rating is because they seemed to me to be a little narrow. I would suggest that if your feet are on the wide side that you do go with the wide and/or a half size up. You also want to make sure, as with any hiking boot, that you have enough room for your heavier hiking socks and to prevent toe-jam on the downhills.

My husband had a pair and after listening to him rave about his for a while I got jealous and had to buy a pair for myself. I love them and won't go out on a trail in anything else now.

Have you owned or used a L.L.Bean Women's Gore-Tex Mountain Treads, Mid-Cut? Share your experience »