L.L.Bean Microlight Solo

Tent packs extremely small - I carry it and its ground…

Design: three-season two-hoop tunnel not-freestanding
Ease of Setup: Tent setup extremely easy, with the fly setup taking a little more time
Weight: 3 lb, 11 oz

Tent packs extremely small - I carry it and its ground cover in a 10l compression sack, which is actually a little too big. It is also quite light.

Setting up the main part of the tent is a breeze; quick and easy. The fly, on the other hand could be easier to put on, requiring velcro to position properly, and a minimum of four additional stakes to secure the main vestibule, and another two if you need the side vestibules.

On that note, the vestibules are adequate, though not overly spacious. I think you may have some trouble fitting any single large bag in it, but with a collection of small(er) bags, you will be fine. I found that, at 6'1", I am pretty much at the limit for this tent. My often hit the mesh of the tent, however, as it is a full-mesh top, condensation is not much of an issue.

The poles are durable, I often use my poles as a packing structure for a pannier. The stakes are a little chunky and could use being replaced with something a bit lighter.

All in all, an excellent tent but with some small issues that could be addressed. Plus, Beans has a great warranty on all their products, so I feel safe when I pack this tent.

If you've owned or used a L.L.Bean Microlight Solo, please share your experience.

L.L.Bean Microlight Solo

The Microlight Solo has been discontinued.

The L.L.Bean Microlight Solo is not available from the stores we monitor.

2010