L.L.Bean Microlight Solo

Peak height 3 ft
Doors 1
Poles 2 aluminum
Packed dimensions 21 in x 5 in

Tent packs extremely small - I carry it and its ground…

Design: three-season two-hoop tunnel not-freestanding
Ease of Setup: Tent setup extremely easy, with the fly setup taking a little more time
Weight: 3 lb, 11 oz

Tent packs extremely small - I carry it and its ground cover in a 10l compression sack, which is actually a little too big. It is also quite light.

Setting up the main part of the tent is a breeze; quick and easy. The fly, on the other hand could be easier to put on, requiring velcro to position properly, and a minimum of four additional stakes to secure the main vestibule, and another two if you need the side vestibules.

On that note, the vestibules are adequate, though not overly spacious. I think you may have some trouble fitting any single large bag in it, but with a collection of small(er) bags, you will be fine. I found that, at 6'1", I am pretty much at the limit for this tent. My often hit the mesh of the tent, however, as it is a full-mesh top, condensation is not much of an issue.

The poles are durable, I often use my poles as a packing structure for a pannier. The stakes are a little chunky and could use being replaced with something a bit lighter.

All in all, an excellent tent but with some small issues that could be addressed. Plus, Beans has a great warranty on all their products, so I feel safe when I pack this tent.

This tent weighs less than a one-liter, water-filled Nalgene bottle and packs almost as small as a bivy sack – ideal for ultralight backpackers, kayakers and bikers. The 30-denier ripstop nylon rain fly is coated with 1,500 mm silicone on the outside and a polyurethane layer inside. It's the lightest tent fabric available today.

Two-pole hoop-style construction stands up to wind and driving rain. Sets up quickly with color-coded clips that attach to two lightweight-aluminum poles, then stakes out for support. Breathable no-see-um mesh tent body with enough headroom to change clothes. Large door and vestibule make entry and exit simple. Imported.

L.L.Bean Microlight Solo

The Microlight Solo has been discontinued.

The L.L.Bean Microlight Solo is not available from the stores we monitor.