L.L.Bean Microlight Solo

Peak height 3 ft
Doors 1
Poles 2 aluminum
Packed dimensions 21 in x 5 in

Outstanding tent by L.L. Bean. I used this tent for…

Summary

Outstanding tent by L.L. Bean.

Pros

• Easy setup
  • Bomb proof shelter
  • Best buy for money

Cons

• None

I used this tent for a 2011-2012 section hike of the entire A.T. The tent is super lightweight and fast setup. Skip the Velcro and just use the color coded tabs. If you are color blind, put duck tape with matching letters. A to A, B to B. KISS.

It was outstanding and kept me dry during the worst rain and snow. During black fly season, the mesh screen kept bugs out and in the heat of summer it allowed the slightness breeze to cool me down. This tent was the envy of the other sweltering hikers.

After ten years of rugged use, I retired this tent and bought the newer free standing. It is a little more weight for tradeoff.

Welcome to Trailspace, Comanche. Thanks for sharing your tent review with us.

Tent packs extremely small - I carry it and its ground…

Design: three-season two-hoop tunnel not-freestanding
Ease of Setup: Tent setup extremely easy, with the fly setup taking a little more time
Weight: 3 lb, 11 oz

Tent packs extremely small - I carry it and its ground cover in a 10l compression sack, which is actually a little too big. It is also quite light.

Setting up the main part of the tent is a breeze; quick and easy. The fly, on the other hand could be easier to put on, requiring velcro to position properly, and a minimum of four additional stakes to secure the main vestibule, and another two if you need the side vestibules.

On that note, the vestibules are adequate, though not overly spacious. I think you may have some trouble fitting any single large bag in it, but with a collection of small(er) bags, you will be fine. I found that, at 6'1", I am pretty much at the limit for this tent. My often hit the mesh of the tent, however, as it is a full-mesh top, condensation is not much of an issue.

The poles are durable, I often use my poles as a packing structure for a pannier. The stakes are a little chunky and could use being replaced with something a bit lighter.

All in all, an excellent tent but with some small issues that could be addressed. Plus, Beans has a great warranty on all their products, so I feel safe when I pack this tent.

L.L.Bean Microlight Solo

The Microlight Solo has been discontinued.

The L.L.Bean Microlight Solo is not available from the stores we monitor.