L.L.Bean Mountain Guide Parka

Fabric: gore-tex
Fill: seperate fleece and down liners

I love this jacket. It is absolutely waterproof, the g-tex is really durable. I own the fleece liner and the down liner, the fleece is great for general use. It's usually all I need for skiing or winter hiking. The down liner is really really warm. It's great when that's what you need, but usually when I'm out in low temps, I'm moving around enough and layered enough that the fleece does fine. Point is, it's really versatile. In the summer I use it as a raincoat. The stuff around the top of the collar is soft and comfy.

The drawbacks are that the pockets are not insulated, a design flaw that they fixed with this year's model. You can now access your liner pockets from outside the shell. And the hood is not insulated. I would prefer some type of zip-in hood liner or something.

This may seem trite, but one of my personal favourite features is the little bungee loops in the pockets for tightening the waistband. They are just nice to slip your fingers into while walking. feel very secure.

The only thing that this jacket is truly bad for is stalking. It sounds like several bags of potato chips and some very dry leaves being run through a dryer whenever you are in the brush. :shrugs: for all the pros of the jacket, I don't mind using a wool one when I am stalking.

Have you owned or used a L.L.Bean Mountain Guide Parka? Share your experience »