L.L.Bean Stowaway Jacket

Fabric: Nylon Gore-Tex two-layer
Fill: No fill
Price Paid: $169 USD Retail

This jacket was acquired two years ago through a cousin of mine that used to work for L.L. Bean in Maine, and he bought it at a discount price for about $100 USD.

When I received it, I said, “a hundred buck for this piece of nylon?” But, o boy! It’s been one of the best outdoor investments I ever made! It’s light, packable, durable and “keeps you dry”.

I made a trip to Middle East and Europe, taking this jacket as my only outwear garment during a three weeks tour. At the beginning of the trip, I could carry such a jacket into my daypack, without any problem, since the garment was not bulky at all, and weather was hot. But eventually, I had to use it because of foul weather in Europe, especially in Paris, and the jacket performed excellently. Dark colors keep dirt inconspicuous in long trips.

Now, I use it as a “coat” or “trench coat” on top of my suit jacket, and perhaps it doesn’t look very “executive”, but rain, nor cold permeates such jacket.

Highly recommended.

Have you owned or used a L.L.Bean Men's Stowaway Jacket? Share your experience »