La Sportiva Baruntse

I love these boots !! I've had a pair of La Sportiva…

Materials: Hybrid plastic materials
Use: Mountaineering
Break-in Period: Didn't seem to be one
Weight: 5 pounds
Price Paid: $480 on sale at EMS

I love these boots !! I've had a pair of La Sportiva Evo's for a while and really liked the way they fit. So I retired my Koflachs and sprung for the Baruntses.

Now, the first thing everyone asks is why I didn't just get the top of the line Spantiks form La Sportiva. The well dressed mountaineer is wearing the Spantik for 2010 from what I can see. I tried on the Spantiks and they fit great - - BUT - - I wasn't sold on the high tech lacing system, and had read some reviews about broken eyelets.

Turns out the Baruntse from what I can see is technically about the same insulation construction as the Spantik, but with a traditional lacing system.

My feet are on the wide side (EE) plus my left foot is one size larger than my right, so the game for me is to find a boot that I can dial in the fit with lacing, liner molding and some shims. The Baruntse worked out great for that.

The liners are very good and use the Spantik style lacing system - - a zig-zag laceup that finishes with a Velcro tie down tab that sticks to the top of the boot. Here the new high tech laceup is really useful - - it's very fast to lace them up and they snug down very well. You can lace them quickly with a gloved hand, then step into the boot. The heat molding works very well - - I did it myself using my oven at home according to the enclosed directions.

I've had them out in the field since September when I wore them for a summit of Mt. Rainier. Since then I've been out on a number of winter hikes and used them so far for one ice climbing session.

For hiking and general mountaineering they are very good - - easy to walk with on non-snow surfaces because the sole is a little narrower than my old Koflach Arctis Expes and because it has a nice rocker built into it (that doesn't go so far as to bend my crampons). I've been very warm in them to the extent I had to modify my sock layering and go to a lighter sock weight to avoid getting sweated, even for very cold weather. I've used them down to minus 10 and they were fine!!

For ice climbing I'd rate them as good. I'm comparing this to my Evos which I've been used to for some time and are of course outstanding for ice, which is principally what the Evo's are designed for. On climbs and expeditions, the Baruntse will do very well for steep ice and mixed sections and are really a perfect choice for multi-day trips that the Evo's don't travel well on.

As usual, when I was shopping for these I had to do the familiar epoch around trying on multiple sizes. I'd 'recommend not relying on your current boots to predict sizing on the Baruntses. Instead, I suggest trying on two sizes higher and two sizes lower than your current plastic or hybrid boot size, and try to predict any additional fit advantage you would get from heat molding the liner. This is especially difficult these days with all but the most mountaineering specific retailers selling mail order only.

If you are in that situation, I'd recommend ordering three sizes at once - - one size up and one size down from your current boot size. Throw it on the credit card and try them on as soon as you get them and pick the best fit. My recommendation for this approach is order from REI or EMS for store pick up, so there's no shipping charge, go to the store and try on the boots there, and immediately return the two that don't fit. With the standard shipping speed for these types of orders, it should basically cost nothing to order these multiple sets.

So to summarize:

1. Great boots
2. Watch for the pre-season or end of season sales if you can afford to wait
3. Get the sizing ABSOLUTELY right - - you'll have these boots for 20 years or more !

-g

Visit La Sportiva's Baruntse page.

Free Shipping. La Sportiva Men's Baruntse Boot FEATURES of the La Sportiva Men's Baruntse Boot Equipped with a PU coated 2-layer PE insulating outer boot for durable warmth Low profile all synthetic outer boot will not absorb moisture Cordura coated inner boot with insulating high-density foam is super resilient and thermo-formable SPECIFICATIONS of the La Sportiva Men's Baruntse Boot Weight: 44.7 oz / 1267 g Outer Boot: Transparent PU Tech anti-abrasion film with high insulation expanded PE/ High density expanded PE insulating barrier and a thermo-reflective aluminum layer with an anti-abrasion protective non-woven netting/ Synthetic micro-fiber/ High abrasion resistant Cordura/ Giugiaro lacing hardware Gaiter: Breathable Cordura/ Kevlar anti-perforation fabric Inner Boot: Anti-abrasion Cordura/ Thermo-moldable 7mm high density insulating EVA Insole: 6mm insulating Ibi-Thermo + PE insulating barrier and aluminum insulation Midsole: 8-9mm TPU/ SBR Air Cushion Sole: Vibram Montagna Construction: Inner Boot: Slip Lasted, Outer Boot: Board Lasted Last: Nuptse This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Ideal for harsh winter conditions on high-altitude peaks, the La Sportiva Baruntse Mountaineering boots feature an inner boot with lacing for a secure fit, and an insulated outer boot for warmth.

The La Sportiva Baruntse is one reason why cold weather mountaineers are eschewing their plastic boots. Like plastic boots, these double boots are warm- but the combination of heat-moldable liners and modern upper design make for superior fit and dexterity. Climb Mt Rainier in winter, early spring on Denali, and head south to the Cordilleras. Then come home with all your toes. Available in larger sizes than nearly any other mountaineering boot on the market. Ideal for use on 6-7000 meter peaks or in harsh winter conditions This sturdy boot will prevent rolled ankles on uneven terrain and kick stepping The thermo-formable inner boot is made of 7mm high density insulating EVA and features patented speed lacing Removable inner boot can be worn alone at camp and inside sleeping bags Abrasion-resistant Cordura(R) and PU coating on both the shell and inner boot provide durability 6 mm isulating Ibi-Thermo + PE insulating barrier and aluminum insulation insole keeps your feet warm and supported Deep lugs on the Vibram(R) Montagna sole will give you confident footing on rock and snow Locking rivets at instep enable you to readjust ankle tightness without loosening forefoot Made in Italy

- OMCgear

When the conditions are cold and high the Baruntse offers a hospitable climate to keep your feet warm and dryIdeal for use on 67000 meter peaks or in harsh winter conditions where you dont want to think about your feetThe thermoformable inner boot sports the patented speed lacing system and couples with the highly insulated multilayered PE outerboot for dependable warmth and a PU coating to keep moisture and cold outside and heat inside the bootFeaturesWEIGHT 4208 oz 1193 g LAST Nuptse CONSTRUCTION Inner Boot Slip Lasted Outer Boot Board Lasted OUTER BOOT Transparent PU Tech antiabrasion film with high insulation expandied PE High density expanded PE insulating netting Synthetic micofiber High abrasion resistant Cordura Giugiaro lacing hardware INNER BOOT Antiabrasion Cordura Thermomoldable 7mm high density insulating EVA INSOLE 6 mm isulating IbiThermo PE insulating barrier and aluminum insulation MIDSOLE 89 mm TPUSBR Air Cushion SOLE Vibram Montagna

- Bentgate.com