La Sportiva Boulder X

I really wanted to like these shoes, but had to return…

Price Paid: £90

Summary

I really wanted to like these shoes, but had to return two pairs due to the inner-lining splitting/ripping. Maybe just bad luck?

Pros

• The rubber — sticky, great for edging and scrambling
  • The fit is great — a heel box a little like a climbing shoe

Cons

• The lining split, twice, just at the heel
  • Hot, and they don't seem to breathe very well

I really wanted to like these shoes, in fact when new I utterly loved them, for the first 50 miles.

They simply started to wear too fast — not the sole, but the inner lining. My first pair the lining split open at the heal, and the second pair it started to go in the same place before I quickly gave up and returned them. Currently looking for a replacement, most likely the Scarpa Ascent.

The rubber, combined with the almost "climbing shoe fit" and the lacing right down to the toes is just awesome. No issues with even "heavy" edging, i.e., with a pack on.

The lacing is maybe a long term weak point? That is just an observation, as I quickly returned mine with the faulty/split lining, but the lacing seems that it may pull out of the leather after long use.

The sole tread pattern is great, loads of grip although most suited to drier conditions. In the wet I'd put them in the "ok-good" category.

I found the shoes pretty warm/hot on the feet and not able to breathe very well. They also let the water soak through, even in wet grass.

Like first said, I tried hard to like these shoes; they do tick all the right boxes, just a few niggles to consider. I gave them 3.5 stars just as that rubber and sole is so great in the dry, and the fit.

G00SE

I had that happen with my last pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators. I've worn those shoes for years, but my latest pair had lining problems after only a short time.

Mattb

I have the low cut version. The lacing on my right shoe has torn the leather in two places. I'm not returning them, though, because they're so comfortable. The sole is very gripping on everything from rock to hard snow. It does show some wear after 3 months.

Excellent shoe! I used them on the outdoor for 20…

Summary

Excellent shoe! I used them on the outdoor for 20 miles and didn't feel anything in my feet. I recommend it a lot.

Pros

• Light
  • Rubber sole
  • Wide
  • Lace

The fit is OK. They're really comfort and the support it's OK. Don't try them in the rain.

For me these are wonderful shoes.

If you've owned or used a La Sportiva Men's Boulder X, please share your experience.