Because I have narrow feet, it has been very difficult…

Use: trail runners. approach shoes
Break-in Period: little or none
Price Paid: $29 at Campmor

Because I have narrow feet, it has been very difficult for me to find trail shoes that don't feel like loose-fitting concrete blocks. I had used La Sportiva climbing shoes in the past and really liked their good fit and construction. So when I spotted a pair of Exum Ridges on sale, I grabbed 'em.

The Exum Ridges have, so far, been terrific. They fit snuggly and craddle your feet; are very cool (lots of mesh); are very supportive without feeling blocky; and have a stick-to-the-wall sole much like rock-climbing shoes. Unlike other trail runners I've used, they don't seem overally tall in the sole. I don't feel like I'm going to tip over. Although they are slip-lasted, they have a full-length plate in the sole to armor your feet from punches and gouges from rocks. I have yet to take them on real steep stuff (5.7 or above), but I'm convined they will work well for scrambling and peak-bagging with a light load.

One note: buy them large. For some reason, they fit small, so try at least a 1/2 larger than normal.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Exum Ridge versions

In addition to the 1 men's review above, there is 1 review for another version of the Exum Ridge. Read all reviews »