La Sportiva Pingora GTX

I love these comfortable, sturdy boots! I tested them…

Materials: leather, Gore-tex
Use: backpacking on rough terrain with heavy pack, dayhikes, wet trails
Break-in Period: None! Comfortable out of the box
Price Paid: $40 (!)

I love these comfortable, sturdy boots! I tested them out on a 5-day backpacking trip in the Olympic National Forest (Coastal trail). My feet always felt secure, even with a 45-pound pack and on slippery, uneven terrain. I am surprised at how many times I could have easily sprained/rolled my ankles, but these boots protected my feet so well! They were comfortable right out of the box - I didn't even have to wear them in. No blisters or hotspots at all, and the laces stayed on well - no relacing. Walking through some low-laying water was no problem with the Gore-tex lining.

I bought these at US Outdoor Store (in Portland, OR... no, I don't work for them) for a steal at $40, originally $130! There are still some women's sizes left - grab them if you can.

Best I ever owned and I'm into my 4th decade of "hiking."…

Best I ever owned and I'm into my 4th decade of "hiking." Did 4-day, 50 miles, with complete pack and scouts on Appalachian Trail and loved them. Did 16 miles at a "recon shuffle" pace and like them even more. Light, yet, excellent stability moving fast on rough terrain. Also did lighter backpacking and hiking in Florida and loved them. If your feet sweat a lot, change socks every half day and you'll love 'em.

Awesome boot. In the past 2 1/2 years I've put over…

Materials: gore-tex
Use: long backpack, rocky trail
Break-in Period: 30+ miles
Weight: 170 pounds

Awesome boot. In the past 2 1/2 years I've put over 500 miles of hiking and backpacking on my boots in rocky conditions and they are still in good shape. Worth every penny and then some.

Best boot I've ever had. And I've had quite a few.

Materials: Lightweight leather with Gore-Tex
Use: anything!
Break-in Period: zero
Weight: ?

Best boot I've ever had. And I've had quite a few.

If you've owned or used a La Sportiva Pingora GTX, please share your experience.

La Sportiva Pingora GTX

The Pingora GTX has been discontinued.

The La Sportiva Pingora GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 23, 2008 at Moosejaw.