La Sportiva Tarantula

These are only the second pair of climbing shoes I…

These are only the second pair of climbing shoes I have owned, the first were a pair of rental cast-offs.

It seems like most climbing shoes have this super deep heel cup that my foot doesn't fit into. These fit my heel very well.

I have been climbing on these shoes for three months.

I have pretty poor technique, so the extra thick rubber sole suits my climbing style well and should last me a while. I am told that when I get better I will want a more sensitive sole.

They edge well and I have climbed slabs with them, too, but because I fitted them tight for edging, they are only okay for slab climbing. I think that if I bought a half size larger they would smear better.

I like the Velcro closure. I feel like it is easier to adjust them throughout the day as comfort dictates.

Fit is a function of how tight you buy them. Tighter shoes work better for edging but the tradeoff is that they aren't fun to walk in. These aren't walking shoes.

These are entry shoes that are great for punters like me. Good grip, and good all-around usability. I am 200 lbs plus some, and they are stiff enough to grip the rock well for me.

Visit La Sportiva's Tarantula page.

This comfortable shoe from La Sportiva is easy to use and easy to get on and off in a flash. The unlined upper is excellent for moisture management and super comfortable on your foot all day. The shape is round and higher volume for the climber not looking to mangle their feet yet aggressive enough to perform when needed. The highly adjustable closure system adapts to multiple foot types and shapes, making the Tarantula an excellent all around climbing shoe for entry level climbers.

- CampSaver.com

A jack-of-all-trades, the La Sportiva Tarantulace rock climbing shoes are comfortable enough for all-day climbs or a trip to the rock gym.

The La Sportiva Tarantula is a highly adjustable, versatile climbing shoe. Unlike traditional entry-level rock shoes, the Tarantula features a slightly down-turned toe, a snug heel, and can be resoled. As you climb the grades, the Tarantula will stick around as an indispensably comfortable shoe you choose for multi-pitch climbs. Comfortable unlined leather upper wicks moisture and provides comfort on hot days 5mm FriXon(R) RS rubber sticks to plastic and rock equally well 1.8mm LaspoFlex midsole is sensitive yet offers confident edging thanks to a super-lightweight, super-thin synthetic laminate last Round, higher volume shape Highly adjustable hook and loop closure system offers infinite adjustment, crank 'em down for a snug fit! Slightly asymmetrical shape Unlined upper will stretch a half size

- OMCgear

La Sportiva designed the Tarantula FriXion RS Climbing Shoe for climbers looking to get on some vertical without abusing their feet. The comfort-centric Tarantula features an unlined upper for moisture management and all-day climbing, and a high-volume design means you won't have to powder your bones just to get into the shoe.