La Sportiva Thunder II GTX

Great traction on wet and downhill and feels stable…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

Great traction on wet and downhill and feels stable with mid-weight packs.

Pros

• Traction
  • Fits insoles well
  • Pricepoint
  • Wide toe box
  • Heel sits in heel pocket nicely
  • Great customer service

Cons

• Toecap started to delaminate on second use
  • Grommets around ankles dug in until I broke them in. Was painful

I needed a backup boot for my job, and these were a great price point. Although, typically for trail work most people recommend full-leather, but I wanted something lighter for the summer daytime sun of Reno/Carson City as the pair I was supplementing was a hot full grain boot.

I wore them on a break-in hike somewhere dry (June in the Sierras was still snowy) after wearing them at work for a few days. The ankle grommets had dug into my ankles almost unbearably at work, and at the end of the hike I though my ankles had to be raw. I wore them to a National Trails Day in June where all I did was revegetate a social trail, and the toecap started delaminating!

Customer Service was very great and offered for me to send them back and they could heat gun them, explaining perhaps my batch hadn't had enough heat to seal the toe cap. I really needed them, as my other pair of boots didn't have as great tread for early season wet hiking, and already had a toecap delamination/leaking issue. So I kindly declined and shoe gooed them. It wasn't peeling to be detrimental to water leakage, but if I didn't repair it, they would have kept peeling back and became an issue. Despite looking horrible now after a season of hiking in them, they stayed dry, and I had great traction and finally the ankle grommets were not digging into my ankle.

Take home->I think these would last a long time for someone going on short, periodic backpacking or day hiking trips. They maybe easier to break in around the ankles for someone else, and other than that issue I liked how they felt from day one and were relatively easy to break in and feel comfortable in from day one. I think if I continue to use them for what I was using them for I'll probably get another season or two out of the uppers before they are really beat up.

I wish I'd went to school to become an engineer to design footwear! Great tread and great customer service.

I haven't worn the boots a great deal, several short…

Materials: leather and gortex
Use: short dayhikes and rough trail with med heavy pack
Break-in Period: I've had them about 18 months
Weight: med weight

I haven't worn the boots a great deal, several short hikes 6-10 kms, lots of winter wear.  However, this summer I did a 60km multi day hike on the north coast of Vancouver Island lots of mud, roots, logs and slippery boardwalk. I was very diligent with good wool socks with liners and three extra pairs (just in case).

The boots at first performed really well but by the third day blisters were forming. The boots had great support for the ankles, lots of mobility and were for the most part fairly comfortable. The soles were very slippery on the boardwalk so I choose the mud for safety sake but the boots weren't waterproof in deeper mud.

The downside to the boots was the BLISTERS....by the time I reached the end of the hike both heels were rubbed raw (I mean mush) and it took about three weeks before I could wear shoes.

As a result, I'm hesitant to put the boot back on!!  For the amount of money the boots cost, I feel they shouldn't have done that much damage and performed a little better than they did.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Thunder II GTX versions

In addition to the 2 women's reviews above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the Thunder II GTX. Read all reviews »

Visit La Sportiva's Thunder II GTX page.

A midweight waterproof leather hiking boot for moderate to rugged terrain with lightmoderate backpacking loadsThe reincarnation of the classic midduty leather hiking boot The Thunder II has been updated with a Vibram Impact Brake Systemr sole and a foot cradling Trailon midsole for supreme protection and cushion on the trail The molded rubber heel stabilizer gives excellent ankle support on treacherous terrain and the 18mm Nubuck leather repels water and protects your foot from the elementsSpecs WEIGHT 1905 oz 540 g LAST Womens Trango 2 CONSTRUCTION Board Lasted UPPER Nubuck Leather Cordura Molded rubber heel reinforcement LINING GoreTex INSOLE 4mm TrailFlex w half steel shank MIDSOLE Trailon SOLE Vibram Hiking w Impact Brake System

- Bentgate.com

On Sale. Free Shipping. La Sportiva Women's Thunder II GTX Boot FEATURES of the La Sportiva Women's Thunder II GTX Boot Molded rubber heel stabilizer for ankle support Roomy toebox gives a great wider fit Vibram hiking with impact brake system sole and trailon midsole SPECIFICATIONS of the La Sportiva Women's Thunder II GTX Boot Weight: 17.67 oz / 501 g Construction: Board Lasted Last: Trango 2 Lining: Gore-Tex Insole: 4 mm Trailflex with half steel shank Sole: Vibram Hiking with Impact Brake System The SPECS for Upper Nubuck Leather Cordura Molded rubber heel reinforcement The SPECS for Midsole Trailon This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

CLOSEOUTS . If trail-busting performance is what youand#39;re looking for, look no further than La Sportivaand#39;s Thunder II GTX hiking boots. These sturdy, protective midweight boots tackle treacherous and mucky terrain with the power of waterproof breathable Gore-Texand#174; and serious foot-shielding technology. Available Colors: TAN. Sizes: 36, 36.5, 37.5, 38, 38.5, 39, 39.5, 40, 40.5, 41, 41.5, 42, 42.5, 43.

- Sierra Trading Post

Weight: 17.67oz/501gLast: Women's Trango 2Construction: Board LastedUpper Nubuck Leather/ Cordura/ Molded rubber heel reinforcementLining: Gore-Tex Insole: 4mm TrailFlex w/ half steel shankMidsole: TrailonSole: Vibram Hiking w/ Impact Brake System

- River Sports Outfitters