men's
Weight 25.0 oz / 710 g
Last Trango

Much more than your average boot, the Trango Cube…

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample provided by La Sportiva for testing and review)

Summary

Much more than your average boot, the Trango Cube GTX Highlander boots are great on more technical trails and rock scrambles, and perform ideally when the weather turns less than ideal.

Pros

• Unquestionably waterproof
  • Highly resistant to abrasion/wear
  • Lock-out laces
  • Lightweight for class
  • Good traction
  • Seamless upper

Cons

• Although adjustable, uncomfortable tongue
  • Overkill in some instances (not necessarily a con)

Highlander Model Note: The Trango Cube GTX Highlanders I tested are the same as the Trango Cube GTX mountaineering boots, but in a camo pattern aimed at hunters. I tested them primarily with that use in mind.

Conditions:
Trekking along the ridges and valleys of the Allegheny and Appalachian mountains, these boots have seen their fair share of the woods. For approximately four months, these boots have been put to the test while hiking and hunting. Conditions have ranged from 60°F to -10°F (15.5C to -23C) and the boots have trudged through snow, ice, mud, creeks, leaf litter, up and over limestone rocks, shale, and much more.

Although the boots have seen a great deal of elevation gain/loss, this has been done in a non-technical mountaineering manner. While wearing the Trango Cube GTX Highlanders, I have carried packs weighing up to 28 lbs. (12.7 kg) and dragged two deer out of the woods, both weighing 95-110 lbs (43-50 kg). (Unfortunately, these were my friends’ deer and not my own.)

Weight:
US men’s 13 weighs 32.19 oz. or .913 kg each boot.

DSCN0793.jpg

Fit and Comfort:
My feet are slightly narrow, with normal to ever-so-slightly high arches. My typical footwear size is men’s US 13, and so for these I tested a EU 47. Some hikers go up in size for their boots, but since half-sizes above men’s US 13 are rare, I stick to my size. Due to a variety of testing conditions and temperatures, I wore a variety of socks with these boots including two-layers on the colder days of hunting, and a micro-thin merino wool sock when warmer and putting in the miles.

The fit is more snug than other boots I own, but mostly comfortable. The toe box is adequately wide, the heel is secure, and the area across the laces fit fine, particularly with the lock-out laces that allow for easy customization of lacing styles. The one area where I’ve experienced discomfort is at the tongue, across the shin. I thought I could solve this discomfort with the removable tongue, but that hasn’t been the case. It feels like a pressure spot, particularly on inclines, and I’ve even noticed some signs of rubbing, but nothing that has caused a blister or bruise at this point.

Although a high-performing boot and perfect for some conditions, there have been times where I couldn’t help but feel like the boots were “too much,” similar to driving a Ferrari through the neighborhood at 35 mph. In rocky terrain or steep inclines, these boots are perfect. On a flat trail or simply still hunting, they may be a little overkill.

Construction:
The Trango Cube GTX Highlander has an interesting design and construction. Without simply regurgitating the specs here, to me the most interesting features are the thermo-injected lock-out lacing system and the durable waterproof fabric across the boot’s uppers, lined with GoreTex protection. The thermo-injected lacing system also wraps in strategic locations (i.e. near toe and just below ankle) for additional abrasion protection and support.

Boots, removable tongues, and insoles

Closer look at the removable tongue and insole

Velcro attach point for removable tongue

Traction:
The Vibram soles are very durable and after four months of use, show very little sign of wear. The lugs, known as the Impact Brake System, do a nice job of shedding dirt, mud, and grime and I have not experienced any slipping or loss of traction, even when hiking over snow-covered rock gardens and while dragging 110 pounds of deer out of the woods on a very wet morning. While I have not required crampons, I fit on a pair of hybrid crampons with no issues.

Water Resistance and Temp Control:
Having worn these boots through snow, slush, rain, and even wading through some ankle-deep creeks, I have no doubt the seamless upper and Gore-Tex membrane is up to the task of keeping water out. One downfall of almost all waterproof items is that when water is kept out, internal moisture tends to stay in. For this reason, breathability is crucial. My feet tend to run hot, and I almost exclusively wear some sort of merino or blended socks with hiking and hunting boots. These boots don’t run any hotter than normal, but I didn’t notice any considerable increased breathability or climate control either.

Recommendation:
Without a doubt, the La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX Highlander is a well-made boot and will likely serve its purpose for many many years. Whether hunting or hiking, these boots can withstand a lot of elements. However, both hiking and hunting footwear requirements vary widely depending on the type of terrain. These are probably more boot than one needs for flat trails and or just walking to the tree stand. But when it comes to mountaineering, boulder scrambling, and slightly more technical trails, especially in foul weather, these are ideal boots.

DSCN0795.jpg

Acknowledgment: Many thanks to both Trailspace and La Sportiva for the opportunity to test the Trango Cube GTX Highlander boots.

schifferj

I found this to be a very interesting and thoroug review as I've been wearing Trango Cubes for about two years now. I never thought of them as a lowland hunting boot though given their rigid, crampon compatible sole. Mine only come out for mountaineering on snow and ice. They are compatible with hybrid and strap on crampons. They will not work with step-in crampons however. I'm not sure why but my left boot needed a bit of work on the outside of my foot. I ended up putting a soft ball to loosen it up. Now they fit perfectly, wear like iron, and are absolutely waterproof. I don't think they'd be suitable for very cold mountaineering as they are not insulated for that purpose.

Thanks for the review, Kiwi. I also thought it was interesting that La Sportiva opted to offer these boots in a camo pattern for hunters, and (according to the brand) has had good feedback. Thanks for letting us know how they worked out for you and in what terrain.

Jake W

This is a great review man. La Sportiva is clearly noticing that there is a lot of overlap in needs between the hunting and mountaineering niche. Well done man.