Leahy Custom Hiking Boots

A custom-made, lightweight and classy looking boot…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (Still wearing them!)

Summary

A custom-made, lightweight and classy looking boot perfect for boulder hopping in the Sierra or a walk to the store.

Pros

• Classy design
  • Versatile

These boots are like hiking in rugged Birkenstocks; incredibly comfortable and lightweight when an entire boot, let alone the insole, is custom made! Within a design perfect for my foot, there are no excess shoe parts which makes the relationship of your foot in the shoe, and to the ground below, more direct and kinetically connected.

The look turns heads and therefore offers versatility of function, a great hiking boot and a classy boot on the town. I am honored to have seen these boots at various stages being made. Kevin Leahy is a highly skilled craftsman and attentively fit my foot with a fantastic boot!

I have been hiking in my Leahy custom hiking boots…

Price Paid: $900 - in 2003

Pros

• Good fit - never any blisters
  • Custom arch supports
  • Classic style
  • No heel slippage

Cons

• Pricey

I have been hiking in my Leahy custom hiking boots for ten years now (3-4x per month) on coastal and mountain designated trails), and never tire of the look or even give a thought of wearing another boot. The boots are light in weight (important to me with a small-medium sized frame) , but supportive, especially with the custom arch supports.

The comfort provided by the fit of the boot to my feet and the color/style/leather/craftsmanship have made the expense worth it.  Have not needed repairs — no sign of wearing out yet.

So I noticed he's currently charging $1,975.00. I'm curious to know how many miles you've logged in your '03 pair? Where do you hike? Can you tell us about your height, weight, etc.? Have you had to have any repairs done in that 10yr period?

1 year ago

The boots are a traditional Tyrolean design taught to Kevin Leahy by an old Tyrolean bootmaker. The boots have all leather uppers, lining and insoles. The outsole is Vibram and easily repaired. The design has a padded full bellows tongue and the boot is made with a minimum of seams, all double or quadruple stitched with the strongest thread.

A pair of men’s size 12 boots weighs about 4 pounds (less than two kilograms). This is the lightest that all leather boots can be made and still be sturdy enough to maintain their support over the years. The leathers used in the upper and lining are supple and easily broken in.

Visit Leahy Custom Hiking Boots's Leahy Custom Hiking Boots page.

Leahy Custom Hiking Boots

The Leahy Custom Hiking Boots is not available from the stores we monitor.