LifeProof iPhone 5 Case

This case is a tough nut to crack! Like the old Timex…

Summary

This case is a tough nut to crack! Like the old Timex — "it takes a licking and keeps on ticking!" I bought this case with the expectation to have the phone live life to my fullest. And it has!

Pros

• Highly shock proof
  • Keeps dust out
  • Waterproof
  • Very tough
  • Did I mention shock proof?
  • Fits fine in my pocket

Cons

• Screen will scratch
  • Edging can be cut or torn

Using the Lifeproof case is a easy as using the phone sans a cover. The levers and buttons work with perfect ease.  The touchscreen is perfect. Even with the cover, because the camera lens covers are glass, pictures and video are not affected in quality.

Like I said, I have lived life with my phone on my person virtually every waking moment. I figured if I was going to have an expensive 'tool' then I was going to use it to its fullest.

The "features" of this phone are quite straight forward.

Per the Lifeproof website:

"LifeProof frē for iPhone 5 is the thinnest, lightest, strongest all-protective case ever created. frē delivers the waterproof, dirt-proof, snow-proof and shockproof protection you expect from LifeProof, and so much more.

Featuring an integrated scratch protector, frē completely safeguards your iPhone 5’s touchscreen. Ultra flat and ultra clear, the scratch protector is virtually invisible to the eye and to the touch. No other case available offers this level of protection and functionality.

Along with the barely-there scratch protector, every other feature works seamlessly with your iPhone 5 — camera, buttons, microphones and speakers. Plus, the sleek silhouette barely adds to iPhone 5’s precision lines, and clear back window shows off the Apple logo."

I would agree that having this case has not made ANY function more difficult whatsoever.

Additionally, per the website:

Case Dimensions
2.64" (W) x 5.41" (L) x 0.48" (D) (67.1mm (W) x 137.52mm (L) x 12.18mm (D))
Case Weight
1.05 oz. (29.8g)
Operating Temperature iPhone
32°F (0°C) to 95°F (35°C)
Temperature range for LifeProof Case alone
-40°F (-40°C) to 140°F (+60°C)
Operational Depth
6.6 feet (2 meters) underwater maximum
Drop Height
6.6 feet (2 meters) maximum

And from the True Accessory website:

Shock and impact protection

Meets military standards for enhanced security.

• Protection: Protects against every-day hazards
  • Freedom: Ability to swim and take underwater or anywhere
  • Beauty: Ultra-slim and adds only 1/16-Inch (1.5mm) when measured from the center of the phone
  • Full Functionality: Double AR-coated optical glass lenses provide unprecedented crystal-clear photo and video quality
  • Convenience: Weighs less than an ounce (28g)
  • Full screen protection and functionality
  • Complete access to all buttons, ports and controls
  • Maximum sound output and clarity

For as hard as I have used the phone, the case has held up well—let me explain:

I didn't have the phone very long when I did a bunch of painting on my house.  I managed to put a pretty good scratch on the clear screen cover.  I also noticed that as I used the phone, with it living in a pocket, that through the pocketing and using the clear screen cover has also developed mild markings. This does affect the HD quality, but I find with the backlighting on the phone, I can still see the screen quite clearly except in full sunlight.

Photo-on-5-7-14-at-3-39-PM.jpg

The big scratch on bottom right is from a screw driver—the phone and tool shared a pocket.

The phone wound up in the "Big Muddy" Missouri River several times while on 150 mile trip of the Breaks area in Montana. I still even have the life jacket clip on my phone.

P8110284.jpg

It is amazingly dirty/muddy along the Missouri River — the case could not have performed better.

Because the phone is "plumb full" of apps, I am forever using it for more than calling and texting. For example, I put the phone and cover through its paces by using an app as a level on a project at home of installing a rain catchment system to water our garden (yes it is legal where I live-- I checked!) We worked in the rain and mud.  I found that the clear screen did suffer some minor dulling from the constant exposure to mud and dirt.  But I found it was not severe, (and I can still see everything fine) considering how much I asked of the case.

10290051_10202647573009581_7564686635321

I leveled each cement block with my level app. The screen cover did get a little beaten up.

What spurred me to finally post a review about the Lifeproof case was the horrible drop I had with the phone while biking (insert acerbic comments about texting and biking below).  I pulled my phone out to read the text, and the phone slipped from my fingers as I was biking about 13 MPH — and I watched it bounce about 25 feet.  I was horrified!

When I ran over to retrieve my phone, I was AMAZED at all that happened was a pretty good scuff on the corner of the case. The phone was absolutely undamaged! And, I have found that phones have a funny way of getting dropped. I have dropped mine several times — it's fallen out of my pocket, gotten knocked off my teacher's desk, slipped out of my hand — and the case has performed perfectly.

Photo-on-5-7-14-at-3-40-PM.jpg

Note the scuffing on the black area, and the abrasion on the red.

That leads to me I have NO idea how a little tiny bit the case (2mm x 3mm) got cut? torn? off of the bumps that help protect the volume and toggle switch on the side.

Photo-on-5-7-14-at-3-41-PM.jpg

The "shiny" part is the iPhone showing through the missing portion.

I was pretty unhappy about that, since a huge part of why I wanted this case was for it to be waterproof.

As a canoeist, hiker, backpacker, the waterproof feature was imperative. Besides, I have had other phones go for for a "swim" (*embarrassed silence in the restroom*).  I intended to get every bit of life out of this amazing e-tool, thus keeping it safe was of top priority.

I like how I can get the phone into and out of my pockets easily. I have friends with other protective cases, and I can see how much bulkier their cases are.

So, I would buy this case all over again. In fact, I have been pricing a replacement for my summer pursuits (to have the waterproof factor again).

To me, it's worth every penny.

The LifeProof iPhone 5 case lets you touch, talk and listen to your iPhone while keeping it dry and safe. The thinnest, lightest all-protective case ever made provides the water proof, dirt proof, snow proof and shock proof protection you would expect from LifeProof, without sacrificing its slim and sleek design. Take your iPhone along, wherever life may take you. Takes quality underwater photos and video. The LifeProof iPhone case delivers the highest level of waterproof, shock-proof, dirt-proof protection in an incredibly low profile - a mere 1.5mm increase to each edge!. Protects against every-day hazards; full IP-68 rating against water and dust, and designed to Military Specifications. High degree of shock and impact protection; tested to Military Specifications MIL-STD-810F-516.5 (2 meters/6.6ft drop on all surfaces and edges. 26 tests). Fully sealed protection against minute dust particles. Ultra-slim and adds only 1/16" (1.5mm) when measured from the center of the phone. Keep your iPhone 5 safe at the beach, in the snow, on the water or in the wilderness with this great waterproof iPhone case from LifeProof. Includes bonus General User Headphone Adaptor and Keeper for headphone jack cover. Ability to swim and take underwater (2 meters/6.6ft depth). Optional Swimming Headphone Adapter allows use of waterproof headphones underwater. Mil-Spec protection that allows you to go anywhere, anytime, and do anything with carefree freedom. Double AR-coated optical glass lenses provide unprecedented crystal-clear photo and video quality. All phone features are operational while maintaining a high level of protection. Improves the bass and mid-frequency speaker response by utilizing the back of the case as a sub-woofer for a richer, fuller sound. Compatible with all iPhone 4 and 4S models (International carriers, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon). Case Dimensions 2.6" (W) x 5.08" (L) x 0.42" (D) inner, 0.52"(D) outer edge (66mm (W) x 129mm (L) x 10.8mm (D), 13.3mm (D) outer edge). Case Weight: 0.98 oz. (28g). Operating Temperature iPhone: 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) to 95 degrees F (35 degrees C). Temperature range for LifeProof Case alone: -40 degrees F (-40 degrees C) to 140 degrees F (+60 degrees C). Operational Depth: 6.6 feet (2 meters) underwater maximum. Drop Height: 6.6 feet (2 meters) maximum. Available Colors: Magenta, Cyan, Olive Drab Green, Dark Flat Earth

- Tahoe Mountain Sports

This sleek, lightweight and fully waterproof case will give you the freedom to take your iPhone 5 anywhere. Your phone will be fully functional in all conditions, even underwater. Its exceptionally low profile adds only 1.5 mm to each edge of your iPhone 5. Shockproof design meets the most stringent military standards; each case has been tested to survive a drop from up to 6.6 feet. IP 68 waterproof classification means it will withstand submersion in water to a depth of 6.6 feet for 60 minutes. Each case is tested in the factory to ensure it meets the waterproof standard. Also includes cleaning cloth and headphone adapter. Imported. Dimensions 5.4"L x 2.6"W x 0.5"D. Weight 1.05 oz.

- L.L.Bean

LifeProof iPhone 5 Case

The LifeProof iPhone 5 Case is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 8, 2014 at Tahoe Mountain Sports.

If you're looking for a new waterproof hard case, check out the best reviewed current models.