Loki Mountain Hoodie

Great ideas (built-in balaklava and mitts) and could…

Source: bought it used
Price Paid: $3 used

Summary

Great ideas (built-in balaklava and mitts) and could be a game changer, but the quality is not there yet.

• Long arms
  • Built-in mits
  • Built-in balaklava

Cons

• Poor water resistance
  • Takes up and retains large amounts of water

I love the design of the hoodie. Adding a face mask and mitts to the existing jacket is very useful. I am always leaving the house underdressed for the weather and the Loki addresses this very well.

Many times I go to work and when I come out my car is covered in snow and ice. I end up scraping off the build up with bare hands and freeze; the mitts solve that. Also, when I go cross-country skiing in the evenings, I often run into unexpected winds on the lake; the face mask is perfect for this.

The jacket is like insurance against an unprepared outing. I use the mitt and mask options all the time.

Now, with that said, the hoodie does not perform well in inclement weather.

Water Resistance:

I went for my evening jog in light rain and the water penetrated the shoulders in about two minutes. As I was jogging my arms were at a rough 90° angle. This caused the material around the tops of the arms to have creases and depressions. Water collected in them and leaked through at about the same time as my shoulders.

Unfortunately, the material absorbs and retains a spectacular amount of water. After the jog, I took the garment off and it felt like a bag of bricks. I weighed it in at over 3 lbs (51 oz)! It started at 28 oz.
DSCN2167.jpg

Venting:

The jacket is built for warmer winter weather (35°F+) assuming you have a mid layer underneath or you are being active in some sporty endeavor. It vents pretty well. The interior has a faux wool in it (like the old bomber WW2 jackets). Loki calls it "shag fleece."
DSCN2169.jpg
(shag fleece interior insulation)

Warmth:

The hoodie does fend off wind pretty well. Windstopper may have a slight edge over the Loki system but it does perform to a degree. It's like a hybrid between a soft shell jacket and a hoodie.

Fit and Comfort:

This is my favorite fitting jacket. I have a pretty long arm span. Normally, I fit a medium in the torso but med arms are way too short. Size large arms are usually too short. XL arms fit great but I look like an Oompa Loompa swimming in excess material. The Loki has ample arm length with inches to spare. Even with arms extended, I still have full arm coverage. I love this.

Construction:

The softshell materials that the jacket is made of seem less durable than many of the other materials in other higher end performance wear. I have yet to catch it on anything to see how well it holds up.

Features:

The face mask is made of a light synthetic  that breathes OK, but not great. It leads to quick icing in really cold weather. Beats no mask at all. I went jogging with the face mask on. In a matter of minutes, I was really straining for air. With my Bergans ski balaklava, I can run or ski for miles with sufficient air flow.
DSCN2170.jpg
(interior of face mask in foreground, exterior in background)

The mitts are a rubberized synthetic that have a light material laminated on the inside to absorb a little moisture. The moisture builds up quick if you work up any heat. I thin glove fits in OK to mitigate the problem. These mitts are not meant for cold weather (below freezing) without a base glove/mitt. They are more like a weather resistant shell.
DSCN2171.jpg
(interior mitt material laminate)
DSCN2172.jpg
(exterior mitt rubberized coating)

Suggestions:

Increase the impermeability of the water resistant coating, and change to materials that do not absorb as much water (something like the NF Apex). I'm sure this would affect the price point, but it will also create a very loyal customer base who are sold on the design, comfort, and great accessories (face mask, mitts).

Overall, I am waiting for the 2.0 version to come out with the changes.

Thanks for the Loki review, Jesse. FYI, this jacket has been around since at least 2009, so you may be waiting for version 6.0...

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

I read the other reviews and even LOKI's website and it doesn't seem like much has changed yet. Patience is a virtue.

I think this will be the last time I purchase anything…

Price Paid: $129 + TAX

I think this will be the last time I purchase anything from LOKI.  The products are cool and all but they are definitely not worth the price.

I bought a black Mountain Hoodie this time around. Not even 2 weeks old, and already lost a few teeth in the zipper from normal zip up/down.  I've worn it less than 5 times. Washed it before I returned it (had gotten a small bit of sauce on the pocket), and it came out looking like it was still wet in spots (black hoodie; washed alone, on cold with a non scented/non colored sensitive skin detergent). Really not impressed for the $120 price tag. The customer service from them was not really anything to speak about either.

I had purchased a jacket from them last year; went through three before I got one with a working zipper (and was the middle of winter!). Last time it took over 2 months to get the situation resolved.

To start: this may be the best purchase I have ever…

To start: this may be the best purchase I have ever made (Period). I know that sounds slightly cliche' but until you try one on and spend a week or so with it, you'll fail to realize the sheer ingenuity and reliability that this jacket has to offer.

The main features of The Loki brand of jackets are the the built in face-mask/neck gator, and gloves. And these are the essential components that Loki offers that makes it my favorite jacket. If I had to compare the Mountain Hoodieto a more well known brand and model, it would be the North Face Apex (which I own as well). In essence, it is water and wind resistant, and has a very comfortable lined interior. As a stand alone jacket it will keep you warm and comfortable in weather down to 30 or so, and with wind up to 25-30 mph. Anything colder/windier I tend to grab my MH Windstopper as a under layer. In the rain, the jacket holds up pretty well for an hour or so before you begin to feel the slightest moisture on your shoulders. Even after two/three hours (longest I have been exposed to constant rain with this particular jacket) the moisture is only slightly noticeable.

I wouldn't say that Loki produces a superior product to NF, MH, etc in terms of build or quality, more like on par - which is to say exceptionally good. What makes Loki so unique and special though is the ingenious design that allows you to quickly convert the coat to add mits and a face-mask in under ten seconds.

In short, all I can recommend is that you try one on as soon as possible - you won't be disappointed. I own three Loki's now (two jackets and a sweatshirt) and I rarely leave the house without one of them whenever I do anything outside.

Cheers and Happy Trails.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

I am glad you've had better luck with your jacket. I agree, they have a great design but mine takes up water like a sponge after just a few minutes. It seems like the garment is made for weather where you wouldn't need mitts or a face mask. I like mine in cold weather for quick duties like getting the mail, or biking to the corner mart.

Probably the most innovative jacket out (especially…

Summary

Probably the most innovative jacket out (especially for the price).

Pros

• Face gaiter
  • Mittens
  • Zipper
  • Lots of pockets
  • Super bright color
  • Cheaper than some of the brands you know and love

Cons

• Not as windproof as Polartec (but good enough)
  • Mittens don't fit well over thick fleece mittens
  • Sleeves are a little short while riding a bike with the mittens on

Overall a pretty rad jacket. I find myself wearing it all the time. It is pretty windproof (although not as much as Polartec soft shells).

Despite a small lack in windproofness over other jackets it still holds up well especially if you're on the move. The hood is a good size without a helmet but a little small if you're going to have it over one. It sheds light rain and is overall a pretty standard soft shell, about as warm as a fleece jacket.

It has a nice zipper with big teeth that seems much more durable than my last softshell's tiny toothed zipper that failed after a year and a half. But lets be real, the reason you'll buy this jacket is because it has built-in mittens and a face mask. They both work well although the mittens don't fit well over too bulky of gloves. The built-in face gaiter is amazing and I think every winter jacket should come with one.

I use it for snow boarding and xc skiing and fall mountain biking. This will be my second winter with it. I haven't had any of the quality issues others complain of but then again I think it was already sitting in the gear store for a year old when I bought it so maybe their QC has declined.

radsam

It's a cool idea, but the worst jacket I have ever owned. from your review it looks like you have never had any other jacket ever.

Casey Hall

Dude it sounds like you just got boned... and by the way I HAVE owned many other jackets from other top brands such as marmot, north face, pataguchi, yada yada yada and I haven't had any of the reliability issues you complain about.

Not impressed at all. In a nutshell, I've had both…

Price Paid: $275 — but I got ripped off at my local urban refuge shop

Summary

Not impressed at all.

Pros

• It's a great idea for a product and an interesting design. With more effort in the construction and overall quality this could be a great product

Cons

• Poorly made
  • Obviously cheap materials or cheap construction.

In a nutshell, I've had both problems with a seam and problems with the zipper. It is obvious that although this is a good idea for a product the construction and quality just is not there. This is clearly a jacket aimed at teens and trend followers and not at the serious outdoor clothing market.

If you want a solid technical brand there are many to choose from that are well designed, well BUILT, and will stand up to the riggors of outdoor sports. Loki is NOT one of those brands. They make cool stuff but do it cheaply and the result is it can not be depended on in real outdoor environments. Buy at your own risk.

It's great for the sledding hill or the walk to school, but not for anything resembling a mountain face or challenging outdoor environment. Fit was ok and the built-in face guard and hand covers were great. But the jacket got wet too easily, one seam on the arm gave out right away, and the zipper separated all the time.  This would not be a good jacket in any kind of a real challenging environment.

Not worth the price, not dependable, not likely to be seen outside of the suburbs.

Loki LLC BRAND REP

Radsam, we are constantly looking for ways to improve our product and offer better materials and zippers to our customers. I apologize that you had a bad experience with your jacket and would like to do what I can to help you. If it were bought in 13' it is still covered by our warranty and we would be happy to look at any seam issues and replace the zipper on your jacket at no cost to you for the repair. You ship it to us and we will get it repaired and back to you ASAP. Please feel free to contact me at stephen@lokiusa.com if you are interested in this and I will get the process started for you.

Loki Mountain Hoodie

The Loki Mountain Hoodie is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 26, 2015 at Ramsey Outdoor.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.