Loki Mountain Hoodie

Not impressed at all. In a nutshell, I've had both…

Price Paid: $275 — but I got ripped off at my local urban refuge shop

Summary

Not impressed at all.

Pros

• It's a great idea for a product and an interesting design. With more effort in the construction and overall quality this could be a great product

Cons

• Poorly made
  • Obviously cheap materials or cheap construction.

In a nutshell, I've had both problems with a seam and problems with the zipper. It is obvious that although this is a good idea for a product the construction and quality just is not there. This is clearly a jacket aimed at teens and trend followers and not at the serious outdoor clothing market.

If you want a solid technical brand there are many to choose from that are well designed, well BUILT, and will stand up to the riggors of outdoor sports. Loki is NOT one of those brands. They make cool stuff but do it cheaply and the result is it can not be depended on in real outdoor environments. Buy at your own risk.

It's great for the sledding hill or the walk to school, but not for anything resembling a mountain face or challenging outdoor environment. Fit was ok and the built-in face guard and hand covers were great. But the jacket got wet too easily, one seam on the arm gave out right away, and the zipper separated all the time.  This would not be a good jacket in any kind of a real challenging environment.

Not worth the price, not dependable, not likely to be seen outside of the suburbs.

To start: this may be the best purchase I have ever…

To start: this may be the best purchase I have ever made (Period). I know that sounds slightly cliche' but until you try one on and spend a week or so with it, you'll fail to realize the sheer ingenuity and reliability that this jacket has to offer.

The main features of The Loki brand of jackets are the the built in face-mask/neck gator, and gloves. And these are the essential components that Loki offers that makes it my favorite jacket. If I had to compare the Mountain Hoodieto a more well known brand and model, it would be the North Face Apex (which I own as well). In essence, it is water and wind resistant, and has a very comfortable lined interior. As a stand alone jacket it will keep you warm and comfortable in weather down to 30 or so, and with wind up to 25-30 mph. Anything colder/windier I tend to grab my MH Windstopper as a under layer. In the rain, the jacket holds up pretty well for an hour or so before you begin to feel the slightest moisture on your shoulders. Even after two/three hours (longest I have been exposed to constant rain with this particular jacket) the moisture is only slightly noticeable.

I wouldn't say that Loki produces a superior product to NF, MH, etc in terms of build or quality, more like on par - which is to say exceptionally good. What makes Loki so unique and special though is the ingenious design that allows you to quickly convert the coat to add mits and a face-mask in under ten seconds.

In short, all I can recommend is that you try one on as soon as possible - you won't be disappointed. I own three Loki's now (two jackets and a sweatshirt) and I rarely leave the house without one of them whenever I do anything outside.

Cheers and Happy Trails.

Probably the most innovative jacket out (especially…

Summary

Probably the most innovative jacket out (especially for the price).

Pros

• Face gaiter
  • Mittens
  • Zipper
  • Lots of pockets
  • Super bright color
  • Cheaper than some of the brands you know and love

Cons

• Not as windproof as Polartec (but good enough)
  • Mittens don't fit well over thick fleece mittens
  • Sleeves are a little short while riding a bike with the mittens on

Overall a pretty rad jacket. I find myself wearing it all the time. It is pretty windproof (although not as much as Polartec soft shells).

Despite a small lack in windproofness over other jackets it still holds up well especially if you're on the move. The hood is a good size without a helmet but a little small if you're going to have it over one. It sheds light rain and is overall a pretty standard soft shell, about as warm as a fleece jacket.

It has a nice zipper with big teeth that seems much more durable than my last softshell's tiny toothed zipper that failed after a year and a half. But lets be real, the reason you'll buy this jacket is because it has built-in mittens and a face mask. They both work well although the mittens don't fit well over too bulky of gloves. The built-in face gaiter is amazing and I think every winter jacket should come with one.

I use it for snow boarding and xc skiing and fall mountain biking. This will be my second winter with it. I haven't had any of the quality issues others complain of but then again I think it was already sitting in the gear store for a year old when I bought it so maybe their QC has declined.

radsam

It's a cool idea, but the worst jacket I have ever owned. from your review it looks like you have never had any other jacket ever.

Casey Hall

Dude it sounds like you just got boned... and by the way I HAVE owned many other jackets from other top brands such as marmot, north face, pataguchi, yada yada yada and I haven't had any of the reliability issues you complain about.

rated 3.50 of 5 stars All Mountain Hoodie versions

In addition to the 3 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Mountain Hoodie. Read all reviews »