Lowa AL-X 89 XCR

As someone who has spent quite a bit of time in the…

Materials: Leather, Nylon, Gore-tex liner
Use: Lightweight trekking
Break-in Period: Very little to none
Weight: approx 1.5 lbs pair

As someone who has spent quite a bit of time in the outdoors, I wear many different kinds of footwear, depending on the terrain, weather and season. For a 3-season lightweight hiking boot, you cannot do much better than these Lowa boots.

I own a pair of Montrails, a pair of Asolo, a pair of Raichles- all of which are mid-weight boots. The reason why I gave these boots a 5 star rating is because for the weight, these boots have almost the SAME support I have experienced in the other brands I mentioned. I have used these on some 4-5 mile hikes over varied terrain with absolutely no issues with fit, support, comfort or water resistance whatsoever.

The ONLY demerit I could give these boots I suppose would be in the "fashion" category. To be frank, some people may be turned off because they look a little odd. That being said, I prefer function over form when it comes to shoes being a "fashion accessory".

The lacing system is very easy to use, and positive when it comes to securing the shoe to your foot. To the casual user, one may mistake the fit and feel of these boots as a pair of high-top basketball sneakers.

All in all, a great lightweight trekking shoe at a great price!

If you've owned or used a Lowa AL-X 89 XCR, please share your experience.

Lowa AL-X 89 XCR

The AL-X 89 XCR has been discontinued.

The Lowa AL-X 89 XCR is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 13, 2010 at Sierra Trading Post.