Lowa Trekker

I bought these boots for light backpacking and trekking…

Materials: Nubuck Leather and Glove leather lining
Use: medium backpacking, off trail comfortable.
Break-in Period: A few days of daily use. Very easy breakin.
Weight: 3.70 pounds per pair. (per Lowa specs.)
Price Paid: See above.. bought them on sale at Zappos

I bought these boots for light backpacking and trekking in the Rockies of Colorado, but find myself wearing them every day. Before I ordered them, I researched them online. I have never had a boot this comfortable.

They are lined with glove leather backed by foam padding. They have conformed to my foot perfectly and offer great support for a daily boot. I have treated them with Grangers Nubuck and Suede waterproofing as per the instructions on the Lowa website, and they stayed waterproof during the worst ice storm and rain in Oklahoma history. They are warm and comfortable, and flexible enough to be used daily, while still offering great ankle support, and a good solid sole.

I recommend going to the Lowa Website to research before purchase as everything they claimed turned out to be accurate. The address is; http://lowaboots.com/home/?CFID=2652855&CFTOKEN=73384953

They also list dealers who carry their products. In all, I am extremely pleased with this product and will buy them again if I wear these out. I bought mine at Zappos.com and got free overnight shipping.

Update: September 14, 2011

Just to update my first review (above) from 2007.

I'm still wearing these Lowa Trekkers. I never went back to Colorado, I just wear them all the time. It's 2011. Yikes!  They are starting to separate at the rand, on the outside of the right boot, and the heels are worn down, as I walk funny.

I've spent my entire life outdoors doing one thing or another. These are just incredible boots. I'm sure there are others just as good, maybe better. But, these are the ones I've had for four (4) years.  If I could find another Lowa boot like these, but just a little lighter weight, I'd buy them.

Failing that, I might buy a pair of these all over again. One of the reasons they've worn so well in the soles, is that I don't spend much time in town on pavement.

Al in Oklahoma

I bought these because they were one of the few boots…

I bought these because they were one of the few boots that came in narrow. The break-in period was grueling. The leather felt dried out. I wonder if they were sitting on the shelf forever because no one buys narrow widths apparently.

The boots don't have Gore-Tex. The company recommends Granger's to waterproof them. I did that but the boots still leaked on Isle Royale. I since have switched to Nikwax and haven't had any leaks.

Because of the stiffness, the boots weren't all that comfortable. However, I've added Smartfeet and have started wearing sock liners. The boots feel much better now.

These boots are tough. I've worn them on some hard backpacking trips and they've prevented any ankle sprains. Also, the boots are good for hot weather. Because they don't have Gore-tex, your feet breathe easily through the leather.

All in all, I like these boots now but it took a long time to beat them into submission.

Excellent boots for supported hiking. These boots…

Materials: Leather exterior, Leather lined
Use: Backpacking, Trekking, Hiking
Break-in Period: About 10 miles

Excellent boots for supported hiking. These boots are for "Trekking", meaning that they are stiffer than "regular" hiking boots, but more flexible than backpacking boots. Some people might refer to these as "Rough Trail" boots.

Excellent boots, great for heavier folks that don't want backpacking boots. Also great for those who backpack, but don't like inflexible boots.

They are true to size and constructed well, however, there is a great deal of exposed stitching. Also, the gusseting is really minimal, so expect debris to get in if you're not wearing pants or gaiters. If these two factors bother you, seek out the Lowa Terrano. If you want these boots to be water resistant, you MUST NIKWAX THEM...

Due to the large amount of exposed seams (and no Gore-Tex), I would Nikwax them twice. The climate control feature really works, and the leather lining helps to keep your feet cool and dry in hot climates,
unlike Gore-Tex liners.

These are excellent boots, but they only receive 4 stars due to stitching and minimal gusseting. Which is apparently corrected in the Lowa Terrano.

One final note; most, if not ALL Lowa boots are available in size 12.5 (and 13.5), however, the American distributor decided to stop importing them. If you would like to get Lowa products in 12.5 (or even 13.5), please contact Lowa's American distributor and let them know.

They can be reached at: http://lowaboots.com/ecatalog/salemain.cfm

Visit Lowa's Trekker page.

Lowa Mens Trekker Boot Narrow - Closeout - Our lighter duty Backpacking/Trekking boots are more flexible underfoot, designed for hikers who cover a lot of ground while staying mostly on-trail, carrying a medium weight pack.Ultimate comfort and custom fit thanks to our buttery-soft glove leather lining. Considered to be the best fitting boot ever made.

- Massey's Outfitters

Free Shipping. Lowa Men's Trekker Boot FEATURES of the Lowa Men's Trekker Boot Long considered the best fitting boot in the entire outdoor industry The nubuck leather upper wraps around the ankle and foot providing a close-to-the-foot feel, espsecially over the arch and instep area Vibram Tactis DST sole has a great rocker for underfoot comfort and traction Leather lining enhances the superb fit SPECIFICATIONS of the Lowa Men's Trekker Boot Upper: Nubuck Lining: Glove Leather Climate control Tongue stud/x-lacing C4 tongue Footbed: Balance Comfort Midsole: PU with SPS Cushion Outsole: Vibram Tactis DST Stabilizer: 5mm Nylon Heel/3mm Forefoot Weight: 1640 grams This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

The Trekker Hiking Boot for Men by Lowa is handcrafted in Germany. This is their legendary backpacking/trekking boot. Backpacker Magazine calls this boot superb, impressive, ideal... the best. Glove leather lining provides superb close to the foot fit and maximum comfort. Superior trekking flex reduces fatigue and keeps you comfortable, mile after mile.

- Altrec Outlet

These Lowa Trekker hiking boots are great for mid-range outings with light to midweight packs, thanks to a lightweight, flexible construction and comfort-oriented design. Thick nubuck leather uppers are durable and flexible, offering long-lasting protection and comfort; rubber toe and heel caps protect uppers from abrasion. Smooth leather linings facilitate easy entry and exit and help reduce the chances of blisters developing. Asymmetric padded tongue, soft edging, recessed ankle cut and curved insert supply tailored comfort across instep; tongue stud improves pressure distribution. Flex Fit construction facilitates natural ankle flex without compromising stability, resulting in a more comfortable stride. Polyurethane midsoles offer outstanding cushioning for all-day wear; nylon shanks afford enhanced torsional rigidity to protect and support feet. Supination-Pronation System (SPS) thermoplastic urethane midsole inserts help control pronation and supination for a natural walking motion. Vibram(R) Tactis DST rubber outsoles feature multidirectional, self-cleaning lugs for reliable traction on all types of surfaces.