Lowa Uplander GTX

Lightweight waterproof boots. May not be suitable…

Price Paid: €190

Summary

Lightweight waterproof boots. May not be suitable for all foot shapes due to a deep forefoot.

Pros

• Tall boots—more protection against water getting in over the top

Cons

• Loose fit
  • No toe rand to protect the leather
  • No locking eyelet for the laces
  • Shaft needs breaking in

DSC01973_1024.jpg
I bought my Lowa Uplanders at the end of 2015 for use as urban bad weather footwear. At the time I did not intend to use them for hiking. I did my hiking in mid-height boots of the sort used by most hikers—in my case, Lowa Renegades. Uplanders come in two styles, smooth black (marketed as a military boot) and suede, and for my intended use I chose the smooth black. Until autumn 2016 I made limited use of my Uplanders.

In autumn 2016 I had a rethink about the Uplanders. When I encounter shallow water on a trail, I like to tuck my trouser legs into my socks and go straight through it rather than risk my ankles or my neck trying to avoid the water by hopping from one precarious foothold to another. But it’s not the first time that I’ve sunk my six-inch boots deeper than I intended and got my feet wet. For this reason I came to find tall boots appealing. I could not justify buying another pair, so I started doing progressively longer walks in the Uplanders to see if they could make good hiking boots.

The reason I wasn’t sure about their suitability for hiking is because, up to then, I had not found them very comfortable. The toe area was supple, but the shaft was stiff and impeded up-and-down forefoot flexing. This would have been an issue on steep ascents or descents. Furthermore, the boots felt roomier than my Lowa Renegades even though I had the same size in both. The Uplanders seemed to have a deeper forefoot, which made it hard to get a secure fit without overtightening the laces.

DSC01987_1024.jpgFlex-points on the ankle

As I used the boots more regularly, the ankle flex-points creased and loosened up and the shaft became more comfortable. But I ran into durability problems. The right boot developed a loud squeak—an odd thing to happen with a military boot. Then in November 2016 I discovered that the left boot leaked. This was disappointing given Lowa’s good reputation. Furthermore, most of my walking up to then had been on easy ground and the boots were still in excellent condition. I took them back.

At first the retailer tried to fob me off with waterproofing spray. They said that waterproofing is necessary to maintain the Gore-tex lining. As it happens I had treated the boots with wax, which is much better than spray, but my sole aim had been to protect the leather.

Patiently I explained that treating the boots on the outside does nothing for the Gore-tex on the inside. It does not even stop water getting in, because you can’t waterproof the seams in the leather. This is why you need the Gore-tex lining, and the Gore-tex on my boots had obviously failed since water was getting inside.

Eventually the retailer gave in—more to get rid of me, I think, than because I convinced them—and they agreed to send the boots back to Lowa for inspection. To their credit Lowa honoured the warranty and, as of January 2017, I am breaking in my second pair of Uplanders. So far at least, this pair is quiet and waterproof.

Once again I have found that the fit of these boots takes some getting used to. I have recently obtained a pair of Superfeet Orange insoles, both as space-fillers and—so I have been advised—to improve my gait. These have made a big improvement, though the boots still do not hold my feet as securely as I would like.

Lacing the boots up to the right degree of tightness is still a tricky business. On long walks I find that I have to stop and tighten my laces a few times. They don’t come undone—no double-knotting required—but they simply start to feel loose. Perhaps this is because the boots do not have a proper locking eyelet, so the tension I apply over each forefoot works its way up to the knot and causes it to slacken. Eventually, however, I forget about the boots, which is encouraging. I think I will make them work for me eventually.

In the process of breaking the new boots in and getting used to them, I have taken them into rough terrain. I’ve done so with misgivings: I’ve no fear for the strength of the leather, but boots like these make you want to keep them shiny. The toe area has collected a number of nicks and scratches in the absence of a protective rand.

The boots grip well on hard ground, however rough it might be, but my impression is that they do not grip as well as my Renegades on soft ground. The outsole is by Vibram, but it strikes me as being a part-urban, part-rough terrain design rather than being designed exclusively with rough terrain in mind.

DSC01974_1024.jpgThe Vibram Vialta outsole

My overall verdict? These boots are fine for urban use. They are reasonably lightweight: each of my size 45s (US size 11.5) weighs 775g or 27.3oz. But if I were buying tall boots for hiking purposes today, I would look for alternatives.

Apart from the durability issues, which were hopefully a one-off, I would look for a shallower forefoot that fits my foot shape better. I would also look for a dedicated rough-terrain outsole and a lacing system with a locking eyelet. And a toe rand.

Thanks for such a helpful review, Charles. I hope you'll keep us posted on how your second pair of Uplanders works out.

1 month ago

Nice review, Charles. Thanks for sharing it.

Charles Polidano

My pleasure. Yes I will post an update in the coming months.

Thanks, Charles.

Lowa Uplander GTX

The Lowa Uplander GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 20, 2013 at Altrec Outdoors.

DeLorme inReach SE Review