Lowe Alpine Contour III

I am not only a Scouter, I also train other Adult…

Design: internal-frame high performance pack
Size: 70 + 35 cubic inches
Number of Pockets: LOTS! go see one!
Max. Load Carried: approximately 55 pounds
Height of Owner: 6' 1"

I am not only a Scouter, I also train other Adult Leaders in outdoor skills. I own several packs but my Lowe Alpine Contour III is the best of the bunch, and my pack of choice when I am off to the deep wilderness.

Rugged and well-built, this pack has storage space for everything essential and then some, and its load control and adjustment are outstanding. I commonly load 40 to 50 pounds and the load rides exactly where it is supposed to.

This is not an inexpensive pack, but you will ultimately get what you pay for. For an exceptional outdoor experience, Lowe Alpine produces a very quality product in the Contour III.

Well, after six years, I've finally worn my pack out…

Design: Internal
Size: 70 litres.
Number of Pockets: top pocket only.
Max. Load Carried: 70 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'9"
Price Paid: $350-ish

Well, after six years, I've finally worn my pack out and so it's time to write up a review.

Right off the shelf I loved the pack with the sole exception of the two side "pockets." They were too small to contain my ski tails, tent poles, or av probe reliably--the newest models have fixed this problem.

The pack material has lasted without so much as a scratch through all the punishment I put it through.

This spring I carried about 70 lbs in it and discovered that the harness could no longer support the load properly. No matter what adjustments I made, the hipbelt kept slipping further and further down my hips. I suspect it's because the foam in the belt has broken down over the years. With the lighter loads (30 lbs) the pack still works reasonably well, but it's apparent that the harness isn't working the way it used to.

I'm not really too unhappy with the overall performance of the pack - it did give me six good years, but I would have expected the harness to last a little longer. Afterall, it rarely carried over 55 lbs.

The pack was a great pack for its time and I don't regret having bought it. However, there are now alot of packs out there with newer/better suspension systems and my next pack will be one.

I hope thats helpful.

This pack is the greatest pack I have ever owned.

Design: internal frame
Size: 70+15
Max. Load Carried: 120
Height of Owner: 5'3
Price Paid: $264 with tax

This pack is the greatest pack I have ever owned. It has been on over 39 trips and is still going strong. It is still comfortable after carrying a 120-lb load while pulling a 27-lb sled.

I have only two complaints, the side pockets do not attach very well to the pack, and the elastic wand pockets at the bottom are hard to compress when holding a water bottle.

Our legendary, best selling, award-winning load carrier, tested in the world's wildest places. Carry what you want where you want, in comfort.Revised: Uprated for 2006, our APS 7 back systems gain improved body-contact fabrics and construction. Features:Extendible lid converts into a beltpackSide compression design controls the load, creates stability and concentrates the load in the center of your backTuck-away mesh bottle pockets on waistbeltNew improved Torso Fit® APS® 7 adjustable backForward pull hipbeltRain coverBody-shaped harnessSternum strapErgonomic load-carrying waistbelt 2 compartments with zip-out dividerFront pocketLid lash pointsInternal and external zippered lid pocketsExtendible spindrift collarTwin ice-axe attachmentsWand pocketsNoggin NotchT for head spaceTuck away mesh bottle pocketsTrekking pole attachmentHydration system compatibleKey clip Technology FabricsNHC330TXP600Contour 60+15 Volume: 60+15It3700+900cu.in Weight: 3.0kg6lb 15ozContour 80+15 Volume: 80+15It4900+900 cu.in Weight: 3.20kg7lb 1oz Suggested Price: $239.95

- Massey's Outfitters

Lowe Alpine's technical backpack for the serious explorer features the Torso Fit® APS® adjustable back with AirCooled™ mesh for temp control. Ergonomic harness with spacer mesh Zipper divides compartment, accessible from top or bottom Removable and expandable lid converts to waist pack Axe loop and trekking pole attach points Compression straps focus load Noggin Notch™ for head room H2O™ compatible hydration pocket Waistbelt: 64” Fits torsos: 16-22” Capacity: 4300 cu.in. (5200 expanded) Weight: 6 lb. 6 oz. Fabric: Nylon CLOSEOUTS . Vietnam.

- Sierra Trading Post

This legendary load carrier has been re-sized for 2005 to carry today's lighter, compact gear with lasting comfort and stability. Torso Fit® APS®7 suspension system allows quick, easy adjustment of torso length for a personalized fit. Curved, foam-padded shoulder straps with sternum strap and load-lifter straps combine with an ergonomic waistbelt to distribute weight evenly. Side compression design controls the load, creates stability and helps concentrate the load in the center of your back. Back pads, lumbar pad and hipbelt are covered with moisture-wicking mesh to help keep you dry. Top-loading design features a zippered divider to create upper and lower compartments. Modified A-shaped zippered opening offers easy access to sleeping bag or gear at bottom of the pack. Internal pocket holds a reservoir of your choice with sip tube port for hands-free drinking on the trail (reservoir sold separately). Features trekking pole attachments, wand pockets, dual ice-axe loops and tuck-away mesh bottle pockets on waistbelt. New extendable lid design with zippered pocket allows you to expand the collar, adding up to 900 cubic inches of storage space. Removable lid converts to a waistpack for short day hikes from camp. Made of durable ripstop nylon with textured polyester and nylon reinforcements for long-lasting durability. Includes a rain cover.

Our legendary load-carrier tested in the world's wildest places. Carry what you want, where you want, in comfort Features: Torso Fit APS7 adjustable back with thermo formed Aircooled mesh for temperature control Collar-cut ergonomic harness with '3D Space

Lowe Alpine Contour III

The Contour III has been discontinued.

The Lowe Alpine Contour III is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 29, 2006 at Massey's Outfitters.