Lowe Alpine Contour IV

I have owned this pack for 13 years and can say it…

Design: Top Load Internal
Size: 80-90 liter
Number of Pockets: 2 (optional)
Max. Load Carried: 85 lbs.
Height of Owner: 6'1"

I have owned this pack for 13 years and can say it hasn't failed me yet. It is a large pack that can handle big loads. I've had as much as 85 lbs. in and on this pack hiking Isle Royale and other areas in the U.P. This pack is a tough well made pack that is very comfortable to carry. I have always found the harness adjustment with the slider on the web to be so simple and slick I can't figure why they changed.

The compression system works well to control big loads and will secure your tent poles along side the pack quite well. One of the only draw backs to this pack is with it's size the compression system can't reduce the bag size enough for light weekend trips. Not a big problem if you always go big.

I had purchased two side pockets for my pack just after my first hike. I found I needed room for smaller items that I wanted close at hand, it is to hard to have to bust open the bag to get small stuff. It's a shame, even today, that they don't come with the bag standard. They make it much more versital and if you don't need them on a particular trip you could leave them off.

All said, there is very little not to like about this pack. It's a great value in an ever growing field of high-priced gadget packs.

This pack packs. In the years I've owned it it's taken…

Size: 90+15
Max. Load Carried: 100 Lbs.
Height of Owner: 6'3"

This pack packs. In the years I've owned it it's taken me from Alaska to Argentina with Europe, Asia, and a whole bunch of mountains in between. I hauled 100 lbs. 45 miles in two days coming down from Aconcagua once with not so much as a single saddle sore. I have used it as my weekend pack, my daypack, my summit pack, my duffel bag, and my work horse pack. Nothing has ever broken, ripped, torn or failed.

The only problem I've ever had was that somebody else liked the pack so much they stole it. This gave me time to reconsider the packs available out there and try some different models. But returning from a recent Mt. Rainier climb with a competitor's pack and yet another sore back convinced me that no other comparable pack compares. It's cheap, comfortable, easily modified for huge hauls, and doesn't complain. No matter how big the load.

I just got a new Contour IV and the recently added features make it a better pack then ever.

Climb on!

great winter pack. sleeping bag conpartment holds…

Design: internal frame
Size: huge
Number of Pockets: 2 side 1 top
Max. Load Carried: 75lb
Height of Owner: 5'10"
Price Paid: retail $250 (paid $150)

great winter pack. sleeping bag conpartment holds your bag and then some. I have never been able to fill the whole bag even with 75# in it. straps on the sides hold my snowshoes tight against my pack. the bungi on the front (or back) is great for my crampons and ice axxes.

the only negative thing I can say about it is the top detachable pocket cover doesn't pull down tight if the pack is not full. I usually store my food in it and put it inside the back.( it wobbles if not pulled tight).

the hydration system is great. every pack should have one.

As a first pack, I have found it very versitile. I…

Design: internal
Size: 90 + 15
Number of Pockets: 2 side + 2 add on
Max. Load Carried: 75 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 10"
Price Paid: $220 US

As a first pack, I have found it very versitile. I have used it for various trips ranging from 10 days in the Boundary Waters to a couple days on the Superior Hiking Trail and it fits my needs very nicely.

Negative's
----------

- heavier loads tend to "sway". I've tried a variety of different packing methods and found it to be common, especially when it is a little heavier on top.

- the two side pockets are not very useful for carrying items such as water bottles (the nalgene bigmouths do fit) or items you wish to access easily, but they do secure lengthy items such as tent poles and my Sven Saw.

- The 2 side pockets which can be purchased and attached are of very poor design. Whereas they do add to the overall carrying capacity of the pack and are nice for items such as fuel bottles, I feel they add to the instability of the pack because they do not fasten firmly enough and wobble back and forth when walking. They also widen the pack and tend to get caught on bracnches and in narrow trails.

Positive's
----------

- The pack is comfortable to wear. It feels nice against my back when I put it on and it is easily adjustable while I am on the trail.

- It has unlimited space to put all your gear. I've had times when I literally couldn't fit anything more in the top section and still managed to fit an extra "something" in there.

- Durable. The outer shell resists abrasion very well and it has taken a lot of abuse across portages (no Duluth pack for me!), down steep trails and for the first 5 months I had my new puppy (he chewed my shoulder stap in half).

Overall I would recommend this pack to most people. As I am not a tall person, I cannot foresee the problems related to height, but being about average size, I can honestly say that there is never an instance that I have not been able to use this pack for a trip or wished it were bigger/smaller/lighter etc... A very good pack.

This is my first Lowe pack, and overall I'm pretty…

Design: internal frame pack
Size: 5000 cu. in.
Number of Pockets: 3 addt'l pockets
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs.
Height of Owner: 6' 0"

This is my first Lowe pack, and overall I'm pretty satisfied with it, save for a few minor design flaws. So far I've only used it once on a 4-day trip, but it was easy to get it dialed into my body shape. The pack itself is touted as being a pack for women or people with shorter torsos, but I bought it because it is slightly more compact than some of the more average sized internal frame packs for weeklong endeavors, such as the North Face Renegade. It still fits me quite well, despite my being slightly larger than its intended user. It is a nice choice for someone like myself that likes to pack light for a trip. My 3 season 15 degree bag just fits into the bottom, which makes me think that getting an overstuffed 4 season bag in there come winter may be trouble. However, I can always get a compression sack for my winter bag if I need to.

My biggest and only real complaint about this pack is the pretty major design flaw in that the 2 pockets on the bottom sides where you can ususally stow a Nalgene for easy access are two small to fit a normal wide mouth 1 liter bottle. Instead, I keep one clipped to the back with a biner and one in the lid pocket, but I can't get to water without taking it off. I plan to invest in an Outdoor Research water bottle holder that fits onto the waist strap to remedy this.

Hawk

Does your pack have a hole for the tube from a hydration bladder (Platypus)? I'd recommend you get one and punch a hole, if you have to.

1 year ago

Well, now that I have had this pack for five years…

Design: Internal Frame
Size: 5400 CI Plus (60 liters)
Number of Pockets: 1 (top pocket)
Max. Load Carried: 65 (winter)
Height of Owner: 6'1"
Price Paid: Paid $199 in 1996

Well, now that I have had this pack for five years and close to at least 100 trips (weekends and longer adventures), I feel that I can write of the good and bad.

Design - The pack is made with a wider profile rather than a taller thinner profile. I find this nice for cruising through blowdown.

Pockets - not enough. I added the side pocket for winter use, but they always seem to be sloppy and catch on things.

Top Pocket - Fallback is that it does not turn into a hip pack for daytrips into town or side trips whilst on longer trips.

Suspension - Comfortable and not bad for $200, but certainaly not of the quality of gregory or dana.

Overall Quality - The materials and overall design of this pack are great. I have had cheap packs (Kelty and Eureka and Camp-trails) over the past 20 years, and it is things like bar tacked stitching, heavy duty cordura in wear spots, good high density foam for shoulders that doesn't break down over time with heavy loads. A comfortable hipbelt and good plastic/nylon buckles. This pack makes a great all around pack and I know it will give me many more years of great use - I haven't even begun to wear out the PU coating even after all these trip so far.

I am sure that others will find this pack a great value and trusted piece of gear.

This pack has worked out well for me in the past.

Design: internal frame
Size: 5600
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 11"
Price Paid: $185 on sale

This pack has worked out well for me in the past. It carries the load very well when it is packed fully. I have a couple of complaints. The stitching on a velcro pad in the sleeping bag compartment came undone within its first year of use. Also, the water bottle slots on either side are virtually useless as the bottles are nearly impossible to remove and replace in their pockets. Besides these two minor flaws, I really enjoy the pack, especially at the price.

Had the back for 10 years now, really reliable. Made…

Design: contour 4
Size: 75+15
Number of Pockets: 1
Max. Load Carried: 100lbs
Height of Owner: 6'
Price Paid: $250 cnd

Had the back for 10 years now, really reliable. Made a few adjusments, add a front pocket and staps. a bit too big, if i had to buy a new one i would look for the contour 3 probably. the 4 is a fair fit for a good price. 8.5 on 10.

This pack has been a welcome addition to my gear.

Design: Internal Frame
Size: n/a
Number of Pockets: 4+2
Max. Load Carried: 50Lbs.
Height of Owner: 5'11''

This pack has been a welcome addition to my gear. It's the most comfortable pack yet. Its contoured alluminum stays are wonderful and can be adapted to fit any back. It has unlimited room and space for anything. Extra deep bottle pockets allow for the storing of other gear such as tent poles and other bulky items. Scalloped compression straps on the sides make for smushing your load a very easy task. This bag gets a firm A.

It's not a bad pack so long as you are not carrying…

Design: internal
Size: 5500
Number of Pockets: 1
Max. Load Carried: 65 lbs
Height of Owner: 6' 0"

It's not a bad pack so long as you are not carrying huge loads. The stays start bending if you carry much over 50 lbs.

The sleeping bag compartment is too small for winter bags, or most synthetic three-season bags. The size range quoted by Lowe is a joke. The pack is maxed out in adjustment range for someone with a 19-inch torso. Tall people need to beware! Always remember that the load-lifter straps need to leave the shoulders at a 45-degree angle or greater to be effective.

Overall I would recommend this pack to most people. It is fairly inexpensive and carries well for most trips.

Lowe Alpine Contour IV

The Contour IV has been discontinued.

The Lowe Alpine Contour IV is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.