Lowe Alpine Sirocco Classic

Great all-purpose camping/backcountry hiking backpack.

Price Paid: Don't recall, but was not high end. Was 1 of few women's pack available

Summary

Great all-purpose camping/backcountry hiking backpack. Has held up over a decade with multiple people using it on overnight to 30-day trips. A bit heavy compared to what's available today. Padding is comfortable but hot.

Pros

• Durable—bombproof
  • Customizable fit with lumbar support
  • Comfortable padded belt
  • Proper H2O holder location

Cons

• Zippers still great, but hasn't been overstuffed
  • Takes time to get fit properly adjusted
  • Heavy by today's standards and hot against back

This pack has been a great pack for the family. Has held up over a decade of backpacking and intercontinental trips (as a checked bag with flight cover) and has been loaned out to friends over the years. (Each person adjusting for their size.)

Loved it as a great all purpose family pack. My children used it for preteen scouting trips. It's been well cared for and always hung on a dedicated hook in the basement. It will be taken out again this summer for a family Denali backcountry trip but my son will hump it.

I liked the traditional bucket interior, which allowed for easily balancing loads low and against the spine. Items then fill around bully items like a bear cache, tent, and cooking pot (stove inside) to use space efficiently. I'm 5'5" (used to weigh 135 lbs, now considerably more) but still feel the pack balances well.

It was a bit big for the kids' trips as far as volume when they were around 10 or 12, but we did not load it up then and compressed everything. Now my son is 22 yrs old,  5'7" 160 lbs and feels it's still comfortable for his summer trips or two to music festivals and a hiking/camping trip or two. We also don't worry about it getting "ruined" or someone stealing it!

It's a heavy pack by today's standards, but useful for the few trips taken per year. Some of the straps are frayed at the ends, but zippers and everything still works. Bombproof! Great pack without breaking the bank.

Welcome to Trailspace, Riss2u. Thanks for the helpful review. Do you have any pictures of your Sirocco you could share in your review?

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

I used a Lowe pack for years and was always impressed with it. My model was similar to this one but was actually really lightweight relative to the durability. Only recycled it after it lost its waterproof membrane. I think Lowe packs are some of the best price relative to performance gear out there.

1 month ago

This was a good entry level pack. The suspension was…

Design: front-loading internal
Size: 5200 cubic inches
Number of Pockets: 3
Height of Owner: 5'7"

This was a good entry level pack. The suspension was comfortable (no disconfort on long trips for me) and the pack was functional...

This is a very basic pack. I did not care for the organization on this pack. Getting things into and out of the Sirocco Classic was a chore. Often times I would lose things in the pack. More pockets were needed other than the sleeping bag compartment, main compartment, and floating hood.

The quality of the pack was lacking as well. With only light use one of the velcro strips along the frame on the back panel began to rip up. The zippers on the sleeping bag compartment were not of good quality, and snagged or broke frequently. I saw this happen on other Lowe Alpine packs as well.

I would not recommend this pack to anyone other than a beginner or an infrequent user.

This is a great pack for comfort--the suspension generally…

Design: top loading internal frame
Size: 4200
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 40
Height of Owner: 5'4"

This is a great pack for comfort--the suspension generally carries a moderate to good-size load for a woman with relative ease. My difficulty was the organization--in order to one thing out, I often had to unload and reload the whole pack--I need more pockets!

Lowe Alpine Sirocco Classic

The Sirocco Classic has been discontinued.

The Lowe Alpine Sirocco Classic is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 3, 2006 at Sierra Trading Post.