MAC-Gear 40 Degree Down Top Quilt

The Mac Gear Top Quilt provides good fit and warmth.

Summary

The Mac Gear Top Quilt provides good fit and warmth. This quilt is handmade in Florida of good quality materials and workmanship. If you have a Warbonnet hammock, this under quilt will fit nicely under the shelf.

Pros

• Ultralight
  • Good warmth-to-weight ratio
  • Good fit
  • Excellent price
  • Very compact
  • Cottage industry produced in USA

Cons

• Stuff sack is delicate
  • Leaks a little down

I got tired of trying to deal with sleeping pads in my hammock because I never could get them to stay in place while I slept. When using a mummy bag in my hammock, I could never get comfortable zipping it up and the bottom insulation did no good anyway. I guess my decision was made one cold night in the woods and one too many times my pad slid out from under me. Waking up cold had finally gotten old!

My next problem was finding a setup I could afford. There are many excellent products on the market, but I was not prepared to spend 500 hundred dollars on a set of quilts.

There are some synthetic options out there that are under 100 dollars, but they are typically bulky and heavy.

When I found this Top Quilt for under 100 dollars, I was ready to give it a try.

Bought the top quilt for 80 dollars.

Here are the specifications per my measurements:

• Weight for each: 1 pound
  • Temp rating is 40 degrees F
  • Top Quilt Dimensions:
  • Foot box is  15"W and 9"H
  • Shoulder width is 22" Folded over and 44" spread
  • The split is 40" long and is 36" from the foot
  • Total bag length is 76"
  • Width at the foot is 22"

Some Commentary on the Dimensions

My measurements differ from the dimensions on the tags. When I measured, I did not stretch and hold the quilt, therefore my measurements are more realistic to how the quilt will fit naturally. I have provided images of the info on the tags below.

Top Quilt Folded

P9290002.jpg

Top Quilt Unfolded

P9290003.jpg

In the Stuff Sack

P9290009.jpg

Top Quilt Tag

P9290001.jpg

The Top Quilt fits me quite well with good wiggle room. The split is halfway up and meets me right at the hips. The shoulder width is good and versatile. There is ample fabric to tuck around your shoulders, or untuck and adjust for ventilation.

I find it easy to enter and exit without the fuss of a zipper or hood. I have used this quilt in the hammock in a tent with an inflatable mattress. This bag is versatile in my North Carolina hiking habitat and is quite comfortable in temps hovering around 40°F up to the mid 60'sF.

The loft of the Top Quilt I estimate  to be around 1/2". The down appears to be of good quality and lofts up nicely when you remove the from the stuff sack. In fact, when I release the stuff sack cord, the bag immediately pops out as it lofts up.

The quilt packs up compactly and nicely in the stuff sack. The stuff sack is made of the same material as the shell.  By the way, the bag is made of some type of very light nylon that is quite slick, making it very easy to compact into the stuff sacks.

The stitch pattern is in 3" squares sewn through. This is typical for warm weather down sleeping bags and some down jackets.

Overall

At a price of 80 dollars for each, I am very pleased with the Mac Gear Top Quilt and Under Quilt (see seperate review). They perform well, are inexpensive, easy to use and carry. In fact I may be asking MAC Gear if they can provide me with another set for cold weather!

Nice reviews, soleful!

A great low cost warm weather quilt. Mac-Gear's 40-degree…

Summary

A great low cost warm weather quilt. Mac-Gear's 40-degree top quilt works in a hammock or on a sleeping pad. Available on eBay or Amazon and at Mac-Gear's website.

Pros

• Price
  • Weight

Cons

• Not super warm
  • Company is new

i bought the Mac-Gear 40 degree top quilt from eBay. I chose it over other ultralight quilts simply because it was only $75. It took longer to ship than it should have, but it arrived in time for my hike at the Dolly Sods Wilderness area.

Mine weighed in at 15.3 ounces including the stuff sack. I have only slept in it one night but am very pleased with its performance. It was about 55 degrees outside and I would guess 60 degrees in the tent. I was too warm to get fully under the quilt and feel like I could use it down to the rated 40 degrees if needed.

I am 6'1" 220 pounds and found the length and girth to be fine, although I wouldn't want it any smaller. I would consider myself to be a warm sleeper, so if you are not this might only keep you warm down to 45 degrees or so.

Welcome to Trailspace, Duane. Thanks for bringing this brand to our attention. I hope you'll keep us posted on how your top quilt continues to work out for you.