NZD $549.95

Disappointing necessity. Thought we would buy a well…

Summary

Disappointing necessity.

Pros

• Name

Cons

• Not waterproof
  • Poor design
  • Too many zips

Thought we would buy a well known quality pack to do the Milford and Kepler tracks back to back. Selling point was the fact they were supposedly waterproof. That means the pack is slightly heavier to start with, but is then not affected by rain.

Bad mistake. Packs suck water like a wet and dry vacuum. Sleeping bags and clothing got wet. Packs became heavier. Between tramps had to purchase a pack cover each (pain in the arse) and some dry bags. My wife's fitted OK, but my shoulder straps continued to rotate and caused rubbing on arms of plastic buckles. Packs were fitted correctly when we bought them.

Selling as soon as I get home. Not recommended!!!

Welcome to Trailspace, Anthony. I'm sorry to hear your packs didn't work out, but thanks for sharing your experience with them.

The MacPac Cascade 65 is a brilliant pack. I have…

Design: top loading
Size: 65 L
Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 22Kg
Height of Owner: 6'4"
Price Paid: AU$ 299 New

The MacPac Cascade 65 is a brilliant pack. I have had mine now for only a few months but I have used it on two 4 day hikes.

I could never see the point to carrying a 80-90 liter pack on a hike. There is no specific pocket for a hydration pack (ie Camelback). I just ended up strapping mine to the front of the pack. The fabric is incredibly waterproof, no doubts because of the cotton synthetic blend that MacPac have used.

I had a MacPac Cascade when I was in Venturer Scouts 15 years ago and it was the bomb. I am so happy that they have improved on an already brilliant product.

Macpac Cascade 65

The Macpac Cascade 65 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 1, 2009 at Backcountry.com.

Vargo Alcohol Fuel Bottle Review

NiteCore HC30 Review

A night on Black Balsam Knob cut short...

Mountain Hardwear UltraLamina 0° Review