Macpac Microlight

The Macpac Microlight is a versatile tent especially…

Price Paid: $315 AUS

Summary

The Macpac Microlight is a versatile tent especially for a 46-year-old Dad, me, wanting to introduce his 5-year-old daughter to the Australian Alps and for a once competent 20-something telemarker to give it go again this snow season on battered knees. At 46 I unashamedly want 4-season gear to be lightweight and this delivers at 1.5 kgs. I've heard it's perhaps too warm for Australian summer conditions but then you can't have everything, where would I put it! I thought the vestibule was generous and workable, possible to keep all gear covered and cook. I am 5'8" FYI, something to consider.

Pros

• Versatility
  • Well thought out.
  • Generous 1 person interior.
  • Good size mesh gear storage pocket.

Cons

• Harsh to report any!
  • Would like to be able to purchase a floor, maybe you can.

After using the Macpac Olympus for over 25 years I required another tent to introduce my 5 year old daughter to the wonders of the alpine wilderness (I did not want to hall a 3.5kg tent plus Teddy on my own).

After searching for a suitable tent it occurred to me that I have been in blizzards in my Olympus on numerous occasions where the tent would be flattened to face level then dutifully stand to attention only to be flattened again and re-stand itself. So it finally occurred to me, why would I consider any other brand?

My daughter and I set off for Mt. Howitt, Australia, last weekend. There had been snow and temps got well below freezing. What versatility the Microlight offers, a generous lightweight 1-man for me or for my daughter and I until she's at least 10 I'd say. She said she slept as "snug as a bug in a rug," and I slept soundly feeling that I had taken my daughter's safety seriously in purchasing a tent that I could trust above the snow line.

I'm yet to try it in heavy snow and feel that with cautious orientation and perhaps building a snow wall the Microlight would survive heavy falls with adequate snow pegs (I'M GUESSING THOUGH). I'm intending to give it a go this snow season.

Very good tent, only lacking a little in the way that…

Source: bought it used
Price Paid: unsure

Summary

Very good tent, only lacking a little in the way that condensation can build up.

Pros

• quick and easy to set up and pull down
  • light and compact
  • dual pitch system

Cons

• condensation can build up if no breeze

Setup: sets up quick and easy, especially handy is the dual pitch

Stability: nice and stable in must be pitched the right direction in strong wind have only used in very light snow and was no risk to the staability of any tent

Weather resistance: keeps out rain quite well

Ventilation: this is the only piont where it is lacking has a vent up top that must be open along with mesh window unless there is a good breeze blowing

Room and storage: lacks in headroom but I have spent a night with two people in this tent. thankfully there was a good amount of wind to keep away condensation plenty of space for gear out in the vestibule and a good size wall pocket inside too

Packability: easily packed up packs nice and small there is now tents that are able to pack up smaller and lighter but i believe that the microlight will out last them simply on th basis of its strength

Ease of use: works just fine consitently the pegs that come with it are a great relief to previouse pegs i've used as they dont bend easily yet are still light alluminium

Durrability: as allways with macpac the product is desinged to last a lifetime

Conditions of use: used this in mainly three-season use for three years now, about 6-8 times a year

Used this tent always on multi-day trips on foot.

Design: 3-4 season, not-freestanding
Ease of Setup: very easy and quick, couple of minutes
Weight: about 1.6kg
Price Paid: 490 AUD

Used this tent always on multi-day trips on foot. I have done quite a bit of research before I bought this tent and I could not find any other tent here in Australia that compares with this in regards to space and weight. Most one-person tents are too small that you put your backpack either under the fly or if you put it inside then it gets uncomfortable to sleep. The Microlight has enough space to put the backpack under the outer fly and you can also still cook on a little stove when it is raining outside -- which is another feature many other single person tents don't have. The siliconized fabric is unbelievable when it comes to water reppelency. Also dries very quickly.

It is not a good tent for hot climates, cause the ventilation is pretty bad (which is the only minus with this tent). However - that makes the tent very good for cooler and even winter conditions. Condensation inside the tent is also pretty big, but not that it would be a major concern.

Inside space is excellent, you can sleep very comfortable alone or even squeeze a second smaller person in there (or a child).

All in all - very good tent, good fabric and excellent manufactured. Love the size and weight of it - packed and unpacked. Nevertheless it is quite expensive considering the size...

Macpac make wonderful tents. Fly is UV40 polyester,…

Design: 3 season, lightweight 1 pole
Ease of Setup: Simple, under 1 min
Weight: 1.9kg
Price Paid: A$400

Macpac make wonderful tents. Fly is UV40 polyester, waterproof to 3500ml, floor is robust, no leaks after prolonged pitching in wet areas.

Pole threads through the fly and the whole unit can be pitched either together or independently.

If you've owned or used a Macpac Microlight, please share your experience.

Macpac Microlight

No price on record.

The Macpac Microlight is not available from the stores we monitor.

NZD $499.95