Mad Rock Fury

absolutely shameless copy of the 5-10 guide tennie...

Materials: leather, nylon, sticky rubber
Use: approaches and climbs
Break-in Period: not much
Weight: not much

absolutely shameless copy of the 5-10 guide tennie... But so what? It's a nice shoe. Pretty comfy right out of the box. Very sticky rubber. Comfortable for walking, very good performance for climbing - really (like the guide tennie) probably the best climbing shoes you can get that you can still hike in. Great for alpine rock climbs when you have to hike to get there - Tetons, etc. Sized very small. I normally wear a street shoe size 8.5. I had to return the 8.5 Fury and get a 9.5 via mail order.

2006-09-18 EDIT to prior review:

The Fury is not a feature-for-feature copy of the FiveTen Guide Tennie as stated in earlier review. That is a typo.

The Mad Rock Fury is a feature-for-feature rip-off of the Five Ten Guide Almighty.

But, since the Guide Almighty does not appear to be available from FiveTen any more, I see no reason not to wholeheartedly recommend the MadRock Fury. It's a great shoe for trips on which you only want to bring one shoe for both the hike and climb.

A couple more quick points. I dragged out my beat up, old Guide tennies for comparison's sake: the FiveTen rubber is a bit stickier than Mad Rock's in my opinion - but it's close. And the Mad Rock fit was a bit nicer (less sloppy) on my feet than the old Guide Almighty's.

Mad Rock Fury

The Mad Rock Fury is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new approach shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.