Mad Rock Loco

i've had my Locos for about a month and I love them.

Materials: nylon mesh uppers, welded rubber soles and rands
Use: steep sport routes or overhangs, in a gym
Break-in Period: still workin' on it

i've had my Locos for about a month and I love them. I did not however think that when I first bought them. My other rock shoes were a 7 US, and I found that even a 9 in the Locos were really tight. After about two or three weeks of climbing in a gym and outside they started to loosen, but not much.

They're great for dime size edging and steep overhangs. If you do more than a small amount of slabbing stay away. They will eat your feet up if you're not careful. Great for short sport routes or in a gym. You'll be screamin' if you have a long multipitch route. So if you're pushing the numbers Locos are great...if you can get past the break-in period.

These shoes climb steep limestone like a spider, but…

Break-in Period: I keep trying...

These shoes climb steep limestone like a spider, but will destroy your feet. After trying on several sizes at a shoe demo, I found my street size worked best. I am able to stand on the smallest of bumps as long as I can put up with the pain. For those pushing the grades, I recommend Locos. For rec climbers that stay closer to vertical, don't get 'em. Drawbacks are the break-in period is long and the velcro will delaminate from the backing in hot weather.

Mad Rock Loco

The Loco has been discontinued.

The Mad Rock Loco is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 7, 2009 at GearX.com.

If you're looking for a new climbing shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.