Mad Rock Mugen

New Mugen... where to start... I opened that package,…

Use: Outside bouldering, Gym use
Break-in Period: one week or more, stuff clothing down inside to soften up.
Weight: about 2 or so pounds

New Mugen... where to start... I opened that package, and that new shoe smell flooded my senses... never get tired of it.

Then comes the sight... the look, rad in design, and sure to catch a few glances. Bright White, with its red logo, strikes you. The ergonomics of it are definitely different than your average shoe, with the new heel design, and pointed toe.

The dual density sole is a godsend in my case. The tight, lip makes for great stability on Jibs, and the softer inside still gives you some feel of the rock. Velcro stays on like pro, and doesn't rub off on the wall or rocks, and the mid section of the shoe with it's overlapping design will fit anyone's top foot.

That said, the toe and heel take getting used to. These shoes are smaller than most you've climbed in by about a half a size. I'd try them on before buying to make sure you've got the right size.

Overall, the rubber sticks very well, albeit it comes off on the wall a little easier than I would of liked.

If you want style and flair, you've got it, performance is par with most other shoes, and the innovations of the dual Rand, heel hook, lined inside... are either a love 'em or hate 'em.

These were my first pair of climbing shoes...from…

Materials: synthetic
Price Paid: $80 bucks!

These were my first pair of climbing shoes...from the moment I opened the box, the crisp clean smell of new shoes hit my nose... originally I thought I purchased the shoes too small. I got them in my street size (10) and my toes were curled back, after further research I've learned this is ok with with climbing shoes. They were super sticky but I've gone an worn a hole completely through them (my fault) but I do feel the rubber did give away a little fast. I am considering possibly purchasing another pair since they did feel so great. but I will likely resole them another brands rubber....all in all a great first shoe, doesn't stretch very much...enjoy!

If you've owned or used a Mad Rock Mugen, please share your experience.

Mad Rock Mugen

The Mugen has been discontinued.

The Mad Rock Mugen is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 10, 2010 at GearX.com.

If you're looking for a new climbing shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.