Magellan eXplorist XL

This is the big daddy. Screen is SO big and color…

Price Paid: Approx $400

This is the big daddy. Screen is SO big and color is great. I use it exclusively for Geocaching. For hiking the 12+oz., is too much. I am looking at the Magellan Triton 400 for hiking.

This unit is easy to hook to computer and load it up with geocaches and maps. Now-a-days it would be a good buy.

I have owned GPS units for 10 plus years and use them…

Price Paid: $375 less rebate

I have owned GPS units for 10 plus years and use them exclusively. My eXplorist XL is by far the most superior unit I have ever experienced or field tested. It has performed flawlessly. I advanced my capacity with Magellan MapSend Software and my receiver does everything Magellan said it would. The details are endless and the accuracy is a 10 +++. I truely enjoy this unit and WILL trust my survival completely in the outdoor world with this unit. Also I have read a lot of reviews about Magellan support and only wanted to comment, I needed to be educated about some products and they graciously answered everthing very professionally.

Sincerely Appreciative

Michael L Larkins

Designed for the ''big screen'' enthusiast, this full-featured GPS makes most other outdoor units look puny and pale! Big, robust 3.5'' TFT color display is sunlight-readable and shows map and tracking points in bright, vivid detail. Limitless map storage via built-in secure digital card reader/writer; high-speed USB data/power port makes transferring files easy. Features 28MB of detailed basemaps with 30MB of open memory for additional map detail and content. WAAS-enabled (Wide Area Augmentation System) TrueFix™ uses 14 parallel channels (most use 12) for precise position fixes and improved tracking. Quick and easy bearings--the three-axis compass provides a true bearing even if the unit isn't held still and level. PC-like file system for intuitive storing and finding waypoints, maps and saved data. Keypad with joystick panning makes it easy to follow a route and scrolls though menu functions. Geocaching software for easy downloading of cache positions you find online. Built-in world background maps; Magellan MapSend™ compatible. Stores up to 500 waypoints on 20 reversible routes; unlimited waypoint and routes with the addition of SD card, sold separately. Rugged, highly impact-resistant, rubber-armored exterior; water-resistant to rigid IPX-7 standards.

The Magellan eXplorist XL GPS unit offers you a large, 3.5-in color display in a rugged design. It's packed with 30 MB available memory, SD card expandability, plus a high-speed USB data port and MapSend map compatibility for expandable versatility. Easy-to-use 1-button access to key features and simple menus make GPS navigation easier than ever.

- FogDog Sports

Magellan eXplorist XL

The Magellan eXplorist XL is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 3, 2007 at REI.

If you're looking for a new gps receiver, check out the best reviewed current models.