Magellan Triton 1500

I was looking for a color mapping GPS that I could…

I was looking for a color mapping GPS that I could load topographical maps on. I couldn't stomach the price of a Garmin Colorado or Oregon and to upgrade the other Garmins to get the topo maps cost about the same as a Colorado.

After fruitlessly searching for a used Colorado I stumbled upon the Magellan. I read a little bit about it and it sounded like exactly what I was looking for. It is a color mapping GPS and you can download satellite images and topo maps from National Geographic for $1 a quad , or spend $25 and get a cd of the entire US albeit at a larger scale 1:24,000 for quads or 1:100,000 for cd. Plus they have a program for you computer to let you manage everything on you GPS. I have used it a few times an I love it.

An especially neat feature is the elevation chart for your tracks. It lets you draw a route and then see via chart the elevation changes. Very very cool GPS for about half the price of the top end Garmin.

Magellan Triton 1500

The Magellan Triton 1500 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 31, 2015 at REI.

If you're looking for a new handheld gps receiver, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review

MSR Evo Ascent Review

Gregory Baltoro 65 Review

Weegie Weekenders

High Sierra Wheeled Double Adjustable Ski Bag Review

Trailspace in the morning...and a new hat idea?