Mammut Belay Hoody

This is a very warm sweatshirt, great for cold days…

Summary

This is a very warm sweatshirt, great for cold days in the city. A lack of ventilation however makes this a poor choice for any strenuous activities; I tend to sweat in the shoulders and back even with the front all the way open. Cotton outer layer is unsuitable for snow or rain.

Pros

• Warm
  • Great quilted feel

Cons

• Too warm?
  • Pricey
  • Not water or wind resistant

I'm not usually a "love at first sight" person when it comes to gear, but as soon as I tried this on I had to have it. This sweatshirt is like wearing a warm, puffy cloud. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's very useful as active wear.

The cotton fabric feels great against the skin, but with tends to get damp when I sweat. And with how warm the quilted insulation is, it makes me sweat under even modestly strenuous conditions. The cotton material also tends to suck up and droplets from brushing up against west foliage. The cotton is so soft I find myself somewhat paranoid about snagging it or skuffing it against anything sharp; although it hasn't been an issue yet.

I found the fit to be nice as well. As a slim and tall person, I frequently have difficultly finding jackets with sleeves that are long enough. The sleeves on this hoody are acceptable for me, so should be of a nice length for a person of more normal proportions. The hood has a nice cupped shape that keeps my head warm without getting in my eyes. The zippers are plain but sturdy, and both pockets can be closed securely. Double stitched seams are a welcome addition. The embroidered mammoth on the left arm and left rear  are subtle, but give the uni colour outside of the hoody some character.

All and all, I would recommend this hoody. It may feel out of place in the back country, but in town it keeps me quite warm, and the fit and finsh are top notch.

Visit Mammut's Belay Hoody page.

The Mammut Belay hoody is a Modern Soft Shell jacket for all activities on the rock face. The elastic cuff and waistband ensure not only a whole new look for a Soft Shell jacket, but also prevent any wind penetrating the jacket. The combined collar-hood construction protects the neck against cold and wind, even when the hood is down.

- CampSaver.com

For the functionality of a softshell and the casual attitude of a hoody, zip up the Mammut Belay Full-Zip Hooded Sweatshirt. Combined collar-hood construction means that even when youre not rocking the hood, your neck stays warm. Elastic cuffs keep the cold out and your body heat in, so you can focus on the adventure ahead.

From mountain scene to city scene, you'll love Mammut's Belay Hoody. This lightweight softshell, crafted with brushed cotton and synthetic fill provides warmth with a casual look.

- Mountain Gear

The Mammut Belay Hoody is a mountain-style Mammut hoodie sweatshirt with Fiberfill - insulated hoodies have never looked so good!. Fiberfill insulation is extremely lightweight with high heat performance. Trendy look with elasticized waistband and cuffs, which help seal out the wind and cold. Brushed cotton is soft on skin and tightly woven for a soft-shell aesthetic. 2-way front zipper and 2 zippered hand pockets. Drawcord combined-collar hood with brightly colored interior fabric for contrast. Insulated hoodies like the Belay Mammut hoodie are our go-to layers in winter for casual climbs, hikes and nights out on the town. Color: Orion. Material: 100 percent Cotton, French Knit, Brushed. Insulation: Fiberfill. Weight: 1060 g

- Tahoe Mountain Sports

Mammut Belay Hoody

The Mammut Belay Hoody is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 19, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.